iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Goals

Started by CCC4, February 05, 2017, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Well I made it out to Colorado the other day. Long drive!! 14 hours, 620 miles of nonstop 80 mph driving just on one road!! Had a funny thing happen with a toll booth...kinda went by without getting my ticket.  :o my GPS kept saying take the right lane, over and over again...so I did!! Well, it was the "K Pass" lane! Lol!! I had to pay it later but it was an interesting conversation and it all ended in laughs.

Rolled into Evergreen, my Toyota doesn't like this air, my JRed 2188 needed some major tuning but my 461 was crisp and running fine. Physically I felt fine, no real affects. First morning on the job had a hike right out the gate that would bring about anybody even these guys to your knees. Right away I felt the thin air and light headed. Grade was around 70* and no real let up. When I got to where I set my kit up, gave myself a breather and actually recovered fast.

The wood up there is Doug Fir, Bristle cone, Lodge pole and yellow. Limber pine gets saved out. The wood is ultra dry even though alive. Everything up here gets sidehilled or 1/4 up. Lots of Dutchman/Humbolt cutting. The wind can get pretty righteous but readable.

Worked on that site for 2 days and got moved to another job site a couple hours away. This job gets skid out. This job is where I'm getting my learning curve! All side hilled and into the wind...terrain is almost all a skidder can take before dumping over. I would love to say I did great...but I didn't. I prolly lost 10 trees 1/4 down hill due to wind and lean. Add the fact I gave no God skid routes...yeh I kinda messed up. These guys are particular, skidding in this steep of ground on a side hilled lay has to be perfect. They know and are gonna show me skid routes. I felt so horrible about it...they let me cut 100 trees before they told me about the skid routes. Oh well, I'm here to learn and there is always room for improvement.

I have been taking pictures but have not got my computer out and loaded anything yet. Usually get home, drink a few good beers and eat like a boss and pass out. Beautiful country up here though. I'm glad I am doing this...I'm gonna come home a better faller!

RHP Logging

Come home??? Go west young man. You know where I'd be in a heart beat if I could. I'm calling you this week. I want to hear this all in person. Hopefully I have your right number.
Buckin in the woods

CCC4

The Colorado gig is going alright I reckon. The original job I got hired to come out and do got shut down after 2 days. I have been working on another tract but I am wanting to get the original job done. I'm a little worried about pay...haven't been paid yet and I been here nearly 2 weeks. If the original job doesn't open back up pretty quick I'm jus gonna have to collect for what I have done and get back home...I'm about out of money.

The secondary tract is pretty steep ground, I was told to lay it out all side hilled...not 1/4 down. Having a little trouble with it due to lean is all down hill. The guy I'm working for is getting frustrated with the skidding...it's steep, there is snow, my lead isn't perfect, tire chains keep coming off, skidder is a stick rig and the skidder is having some issues.

Pretty frustrated about my original job getting shut down...it kinda sucks that my lead isn't good enough for this guy. It's a tough lead to set though and not how we would set the lead back home. Side hilled in steep ground and thick timber with save trees scattered everywhere just seems difficult to skid to me though...add in snow...yeh...but I'm catching the blame. Oh well, it will get better when I get back to what I was originally hired for.

mills

Well you went up there for the experience, and sounds like you 're getting your moneys worth... and their's too if you don't get paid. >:(

One thing about it, you get to say I did it. Hang in there.

leeroyjd

Hoping no news is good news here?!
I don't like it though.

newoodguy78

I feel the same way I always enjoyed catching up on his posts. His git'rdun positive attitude is always enjoyable

treeslayer2003

C4 is fine, he just took a different path for a while. he is doing well.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

I second that one and thanks for sharing treeslayer

Thank You Sponsors!