iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drilling a mortise at an angle

Started by rhmercier, October 15, 2013, 09:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhmercier

I need to drill a stair banister into a log pole.  I don't know how to drill the mortise at the correct angel to accommodate a 2 1/8" diameter tendon.  Any suggestions?

Ron 

Kevin

A plunge router, bushing and template will work.
Double face tape the template to the log, drop the bushing into the template and router out the mortise.

rhmercier

Thanks Kevin,

This will be a 2 1/8" diameter about 1.5" to 2" deep hole.  Is the router motor strong enough for that size of hole?

beenthere

QuoteThis will be a 2 1/8" diameter about 1.5" to 2" deep hole.  Is the router motor strong enough for that size of hole?

I was thinking Kevin meant to router out a small amount at a time... maybe your depth would be the biggest limitation for a router bit.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

A good sized plunge router would do the trick. I have done mortises with mine to 5'' already. It has to be done in multiple steps, and blow out the chips each time.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

m wood

this probably sounds crazy, but when I'm drilling mortise's for stair banisters (log railing mind you) I get the angle grinder and nip away a shoulder until I can get the forstner bit to catch with the center bit.  Variable speed hole hawg and taker' slow.  Yes, I estimate and eye-ball that angle.  No matter how many guages and angle finders I've used on log railing...the best results have come from the good ol' eye-ball'in!  just my 2 cents.

I've had a bit or 2 (or more) walk out of that shoulder, but once you get the forstner to cut all the 360 degree, it'll go.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Kevin

You can buy mortise chisels and clean out the drilled holes as well.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_100813.htm

Axe Handle Hound

If this is for an exterior staircase I would use an alternative method or make sure you drill your hole completely through the lower stringer.  Otherwise you're making a waterpocket that will rot your banister and stringer in no time. 

Another possible option for drilling those large diameter holes would be to build a solid wood jig that sits on your stringer and has a hole pre-drilled through it at the correct angle.  Clamp the jig to the stringer and the pre-drilled hole will guide your bit straight despite the center spur not being engaged at first. 

Thank You Sponsors!