iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it still a sliding dovetail if it doesn't slide ?

Started by lowpolyjoe, November 03, 2013, 08:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

My understanding is that sliding dovetail joints remain unglued to allow the wood to move.  This was my first attempt to use any sort of dovetail to build anything.  Unfortunately my joinery skills still need some work and everything was very loose.  Too loose to be very useful.   I was using white pine that I cut on my chainsaw mill and planed with my router so getting more wood to build more pieces would not have been convenient  ;)

One joint was a complete mess, but I managed to salvage it:

Still very loose, but it'll have to do.  I just decided i'd have to glue everything.

I was building a small shoe rack for the wife.  Got all the pieces ready to go

First coat of dewaxed shellac

This is the second thing I've built using my own sawn lumber.  Feels good  8)    Wish I had a lot more - not a ton left.   My only woodworking experience until now has been MDF and veneer for my speaker-building hobby.  Things are a bit different working with solid wood.  I'm hoping a get the hang of it and put together some useful little projects

jamesamd

I only glue the front 2-3 inches,that allows the board/s to expand and contract to the rear of the piece
and not effect the face or front doors.I would not use them on a box,with the exception of using them for a drawer bottom ;)Nice fix,Joe.

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Magicman

Nice recovery on that dovetail joint.  Ladies gotsa have shoe racks.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lowpolyjoe

Thanks guys.  I like that idea to only glue part of the joint, sounds like good advice Jim.

I realized about 1/2 way into this build that this thing is really small.   I designed it to fit in a specific spot near the back door, but I see now that it will only hold maybe 2+2 pairs of shoes.   If I build another for the wife's entire shoe collection i'll need to cut down a few more trees.   :D

Dan_Shade

good work. a slight change in setup has a large effect on the fit of the joint. 

its best practice to avoid cross grain glue joints.  the seasonal changes in wood dimensions will bust the joint or crack the wood.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Low, whether your joint slides or not, your joint work is still better than I can do.
Good job!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!