iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

using white oak for steps?

Started by xlogger, November 14, 2013, 05:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I'm going threw a rental house floors, walls and ceiling. It has steps and I'm no woodworker but was wondering if I saw up a white oak I have here that was cut into a cant about a year ago for the steps inside the house would I be able to use now without any kiln or air drying maybe only for a month or so? We (she) decided that wooden steps would look the best there. I have cedar that I could use but not sure if cedar would hold up as good as oak. I also know where I can buy some old heart pine but not sure what he going to want for it. I've saw some of the heart pine and some of it is real sappy. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

The white oak will still have a good bit of moisture in it, so your step treads will shrink some.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Like WDH said, White Oak will shrink some. Cedar is not a good wood for holding weight.
However, I have seen Cedar sawn 1-1/2" thick used for step treads. The trick is to have enough stringers under it to support the weight of people using these steps. If I were using Cedar for my steps, I would have stringers every 12 inches.
Using Cedar for your hand rails and post will look very nice.

Just my 2 cents.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

The oak will grey out pretty quick, and might get a little rough looking over time. The cedar will last longer, but as said earlier, the treads need to be thicker to make them strong enough. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Lud

White oak is commonly used for trailer beds.  It is tough stuff that will wear.  Use an oil stain that will penetrate not just a surface treatment.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WDH

White oak makes some nice steps.  Here is a pic of some stair treads a customer made from some quartersawn white oak that Customsawyer and I cut.

These boards were all 12.5 " wide.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH....are those pegs in the steps? Can't make them out.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

xlogger

Yes on the inside steps. I email Scott to see what he has kiln dry and maybe get a chance to go see the mill he got from Tom's wife.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

scsmith42

Ricky, I just sent you an e-mail.  Unfortunately I'm out of 8/4 right now (have some drying but it won't be ready for a while), but some steps could be made by laminating a couple of 3/4" boards together and adding a bullnose to the front.

Alternatively, if you want to laminate some plywood together I can mill some 1/4" thick QSWO veneer for you to adhere to the show side of the steps.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

Nothing wrong with good dry white oak for sure. Around here they've used good old spruce for longer than memory. I never fell through them yet. ;) If the fellow wants white oak, go for it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

SD,

Sometimes you have to spruce things up. 

SwampDonkey

:D Yes, and that quartered oak would certainly do it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!