iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Winter is the best time to work on equipment"

Started by Dave Shepard, December 15, 2007, 07:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

That's what I heard on the other end of the phone. Hmm, I thought. Not a bad idea. One I had heard before. Seemed to have some merit, can't do much digging this time of year. So, bright and early at 4:30 this afternoon  ::) I went outside to decide what to work on. Should I drop the rear out of the skidder, or the transmission out of the truck? Decisions, decisions!

I've decided eating soup next to the woodstove is a much better idea this time of year. A project I intend to work on feverishly throughout the winter. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dale Hatfield

Im sure neither will be a cheap fix. What is it about the cold or is it poor ways that brings the worst in farming/logging equipment?
Somehow people seam to tell me that the summer heat is hard on a battery.I have yet have one fail in the summer .I guess it could be that the heat zapped it and the cold killed it or could it be that  batterys always get replaced round here in the winter time. Thus always fail in the winter when their times up.
It also looks as the  shop floor needs a bit of sweeping. Much like mine. Does it  make a person stronger by having to fight the cold  to work on something or a fool for tring to work on it in the first place?
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

rbhunter

Look at the bright side; it should be easy to slide under them to work on them. Just grab the kids sled.  :D
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Reddog

But the shoveling snow to find the parts I dropped gets old.   ;)

Don P

It's a good time in a heated shop  ;D.
We took delivery of about 5 tons of building materials yesterday at work between storms. Michelle and I packed it in, about half of it went upstairs. I felt like taking it easy today so wandered down to the shop, lit the stove, I think that was my best work of the day. Proceeded to fix a cord that went dead this week, changed knives in the power planer. I had accidently hit a oly screw, pulled the knives out in 6 pieces  :o. There's the siezed table saw waiting for a serious teardown. I got sidetracked somewhere along the way and started making something to fling small objects. Started with some scrap steel plugs but finally went outside, grabbed a chunk of cranberry gneiss and sawed out a weight on the tile saw. Dang now I want some rock bookends,  :D. That working on equipment can take all winter if the firewood holds up.
So far my troops are in worse danger than theirs  :D

crtreedude

We do catchup with projects during the summer - summer for us is January through May. Otherwise known as the dry season. We can't plant and we only have to clean around the trees once or so during that time.

Pruning is a big job at that time and so is prepping the new farms for the coming years planting - but things do slow down a little - but not too much.

Definitely it is construction season. Especially fixing roofs.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Dave Shepard

Well, the scene doesn't look that bad this morning, it's worse. Sleet, snow, and driving winds aren't helping things any. :D I'm seriously thinking about a tarp tent. :D

Don P, what did you build to fling things? Enquiring minds want to know. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

I built a little trebuchet then added another arm where the sling would go, kind of like an atl-atl (sp?) So far I've glanced off the window behind and beside me :D. I'll post a pic on the other thread next time I play with it.

Yup its snowing about 50 mph sideways here too. I worked up and prebored some 2nd floor beams in the warm to make it quicker out in the weather tomorrow... or whenever this lays down a little.

isawlogs

I read this and been thinking this over some , now you have it right that winter is the best time to be fixing things up .
I came to the conclusion a long time ago that winter was the time to be fixing things cause thats exactly when you can be sure that thats the time that they will be a breacking .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

Yup, If it's gonna break it's gonna be in the dead of winter.  We've been sliding around under a piece of equipment the last few days  ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Haytrader

::)
In the heated shop with the heated floor, right Corley?
:D
Haytrader

Corley5

The problem is we can't see the floor in the heated shop  ::) ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

isawlogs

Normal break would happen on the first trip into a new trail , three feet of snow on the ground and the machine would break down at the end .. just as you would be turning around ... Then you would remeber that the snow mobile is out with your nephew on a lake turdy miles away ....  ::) :-\ :-\

Yep nothing like fixin in da winter .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

It got up close to 50° for the last day or so, melted off most of the snow and loosened up the grease a little. ;D I tried to drain the water out of the Tcase but I couldn't get to, or even figure out what the drain plug looked like. Too much grease and sticks in the bottom of the skid pan.    So I decided it would be easier to just pull it out.  ;) It's much easier to drain when it is hanging from a chain. It had about a quart of water in it, and about a pint of goop as well. It looks like it was also leaking in a couple of spots, so I will probably dissassemble, inspect and clean everything. There is a shift lever in the cab that goes to the T case, I don't know if it is a High/Low, or a reverser, but it doesn't move. I'll have to investigate that while I am in there as well. I also scraped out the fifty pounds of detritis in the pan as well. This cabin fever will drive you to extremes, I tell ya'! :D

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!