iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Type of Lap Joint

Started by Stephen1, October 08, 2010, 12:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Gentlemen, I have had Nas cut me 2 10x10 red oak beams. The new owner wants me to cut a lap joint where they will meet over a 10x10 post. Should the joint be vertical or horizontal. Vertical will mean if it is bolted together they will see the bolts or I can make him some oak pegs to make it look good. horizontal will mean they can bolt it together then hide the bolts above the 10x10post.
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jim_Rogers

I can understand your question.

However a joint over a post is not the best place to do it. I have written about this many times and there is lots of information here about the location of joints.

If you have to put it over the post, I would think that it should go vertically, as the post will be a pivot point and if either side of the post or both sag, which I believe they will do over time, then with the joint horizontal the timbers could crack.

Doing them vertically, and they sag then the only stress will be at the bolt holes, which I guess could cause the relish to crack. But I believe that this type of crack with the lap being vertical wouldn't effect it's overall strength.

I would cut this so that both pieces have a lot of bearing area on top of the post, that is make the lap only 8" or less, so that there is at least 2" of full 10" beam resting on top of the post.

Jim
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Stephen1

Hi Jim, I realize about the joint not being over the post....but the customer wants it that way, I would have preferred giving him 13' and 13' but he wants 16' and 10' .
Thanks I will cut it vertical for him.
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

canopy

Take a look at the book Timber Frame Construction by Jack Sobon, page 92. Just 5 pages opened my world to amazing splices that are both sound and good looking. Jack also explains where and why to put the joint which as Jim says is not over the beam. Even though you won't be doing that it is probably still good to review ramifications to your design.

Thank You Sponsors!