Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

We had snow near us last weekend!
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Texas Ranger

I partially grew up on a farm where black powder was produced for the south in the war of northern aggrssion.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don P

Not far from here is Saltville, the salt source for preserving meat after the coastline fell, ancient underground salt domes. They would inject water and pump out the brine then boil it down. One of the nearby iron furnaces cast the salt pots for those evaporating furnaces. Further along that old rail line that "Stoneman's calvary came and tore up again" several times is Lead Mines. If the yanks only knew they would have raided harder, towards the end the lead that was in those mines was coming out of the end of a gun in Richmond the next week.

doctorb

Got to tell all you smart tree guys that this thread is one of the finest in quite a while.  thx.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

caveman

This invasive bipinnately compound leaved tree has Chinese roots, is fast growing and produces an attractive flower.  The one pictured is showing less than one year's growth since mowing it off at ground level.  Florida's state tree is in the background (technically, not a tree) and an old longleaf may be visible behind that.

Hopefully the pictures will come through.  I had a heck of a time getting them from the gallery to the post.
Caveman

LeeB

Has another name that is very similar to the real name. I milled one once and the wood was quite pretty. had a red color to it. Champagne for breakfast anyone? 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Silk Tree.  I don't mind the flower's smell, but some folks hate it. 

I have never sawed it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nativewolf

Quote from: tule peak timber on June 01, 2019, 06:11:14 PM
We had snow near us last weekend!
I wondered if that had gotten close, seemed awfully late in the season for southern cal to be getting snow and rain.
Liking Walnut

WDH

Has one of my favorite scientific names. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

And a fruity drink of the same name.
My goats love to eat the seed pods.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

The biggest one I've seen here is 4 or 5 inches.  Not quite saw timber.  They are listed as invasive in VA, but I don't find them to act that way.  
HM126

firefighter ontheside

We've got a few here that have been here for at least 15 years. They don't seem to be reproducing.  Here is a bowl made by a friend of mine from Lumberjocks.  She got the wood from FF member gfadvm.  He's not active anymore due to illness.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

lxskllr

Quote from: btulloh on June 02, 2019, 07:55:00 AM
The biggest one I've seen here is 4 or 5 inches.  Not quite saw timber.  They are listed as invasive in VA, but I don't find them to act that way.  
I saw a huge one on a job I was on. I was gonna post it here for confirmation cause I'd never seen one so big, but my picture didn't turn out well. By memory, it had a 20" trunk, and a 25' canopy.

edit:
Here's the picture...

Doesn't look like much. It's the really leggy tree behind the wood play set.

caveman

I never paid attention to them until last July I cut a relatively large one down at my parents' vacation house in Franklin, NC.  I got home and noticed there were several here.

Mimosa tree or silk tree (Albizia julibrissin).  Tomorrow we will be back in the acorn tree family.
Caveman

Don P

Quote from: WDH on June 02, 2019, 07:49:51 AM
Has one of my favorite scientific names.  
Unrelated to mimosa, I think my favorite scientific genus name is liquidambar. The native American name for that tree translates to "tree that makes pine resin".

caveman

Today's tree of the day.  I took these pictures yesterday afternoon when I went to town to buy a new battery for the mill.  
Caveman

WDH

"Frankly my Dear, I don't give a Dang". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

They really hold onto their old branches, sawed a couple up over the weekend.

caveman

I don't think this is a scarlet oak but its very close relative.  Quercus........ii.  A really smart forester showed me how to tell them apart by looking at the concentric rings on the pointy end of the acorn of the scarlet oak.  

This afternoon I took a few more pictures of some that will show up over the next couple of days.  One will be in Ian's wheelhouse.  One is buttressed but it is not a cypress and the other share a name of a town that my uncle is the mayor of.
Caveman

WDH

Aside from an acorn, site can help distinguish the "Miss Scarlett I don't give a DanG" tree and one that ends in ii.  The former, in addition to the concentric rings on the acorn tip has a very deep bowl shaped acorn cup while the latter fellow has a thin, saucer shaped cup just like Northern Red Oak. 

caveman

Thanks, WDH.  Shumard Oak or Quercus shumardii for today.  I could not think of any movie/book hints to go with Shumard Oak.  
Caveman

Magicman

Well DanG.  After WDH said Scarlet I didn't research further 'cause I don't have any.....but I do have Shumard.  :-\

Quote from: caveman on June 03, 2019, 09:01:10 PMOne is buttressed but it is not a cypress
I hates them kind, well kinda.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Well yesterday's tomorrow turned into today while I was reading on the FF.  I was going to use the tree that Magicman hates but he knows it, evidently, from one description so it will have to wait a day or so.

We sawed one of these right after getting the lt-28 several years ago.  It was dense and hard.  Tom used to say it made decent flooring.  Today's tree is ....

Caveman

Ianab

Easy for us Sth hemisphere folk, that's Casuarina  of some sort. 

I've milled it and it's HARD. As it dries it gets harder.  :D

BTW, this is where we got married a few years back. What are the trees on each side of the picture?

Muri Beach, Rarotonga, Cook Islands. 

Wood is awesome if you can get it to dry straight, and have carbide tools to work it. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

In north America it grows in zones 10 and 11 (probably why there were not too many responses). It has a cone like fruit that feel almost the same as a sweetgum ball under a bare foot.  A lot of these trees were planted along Florida's gulf coast and provide much appreciated shade to those of us who prefer shade. The past several years local governments have decided to declare war on them and remove them in favor of native sea oats and sea grapes, which evidently do a better job of dune establishment and erosion reduction.

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!