iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

The top one is a non native cousin of one posted a week or two ago, the bottom one I posted a pic of the leaves, they were both opening today.

caveman

DonP, I'm guessing the top one you posted is some kind of Asian Magnolia.  

The one I posted early this morning and those pictured at Ian's wedding are what are known here as Australian Pine (Casuarina species).  I think some folks in NZ call them Sheoaks.
Caveman

caveman

Today's tree is growing on the edge of a swamp in central Florida.  It will grow in most of the south.  The leaves will be one of the first to turn colors in the fall.

Caveman

WDH

The wood ducks love to eat the drupes.  The wood from the butt swell is sought after by carvers. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

The top branch in the vase is a Stewartia psuedocamillia, Japanese Stewartia, cousin of loblolly bay, the bottom is southern magnolia, var bracken's brown beauty, a cold tolerant one.

I'd guess todays tree was also used as a home for bees?

Magicman

I had one of today's in my back yard for many years.  I loved the brilliant red in the Fall.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Don P, I did not know that about the bees in this tree.  I have learned a lot from folks' responses since we started this thread nearly a month ago.  I need to go through and write down all of the trees of the days so that I do not inadvertently repeat any of them.  CRS is kicking in pretty good.

MagicMan, If I recall, you had a bowl made out of the wood from today's tree.

Caveman

Magicman

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that one.  When you mentioned bowls last week I thought about another bowl and was ready to go with it.  ::)

This one was a favored species for the "old timers" that made "dough bowls".

I have sawn it a few times but it always took me a bit to identify it without any leaves.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

By gum, I recognize that one!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

Brings to mind a Van Morrison song.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Cartwright

Magicman, isn't there a town in Mississippi by today's tree's name. 
Wood-Mizer LT50HDD47-RA
Eg 200 twin blade edger 25hp gas
Volvo L30 compact  wheel loader
Ford CL65 skid steer
'09 F250 Super Duty Powerstroke 
Stihl ms391, 390, 029

WDH

Elvis left his first building there. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

The tree from today, as most of you hinted to, is Swamp Tupelo, Blackgum, Black Swamp Tupelo and probably has a couple of other names.  The Latin name is Nyssa biflora or Nyssa sylvatica (depending on the source).  Someone can probably clarify which we have pictured.
https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/misc/ag_654/volume_2/nyssa/silvatica.htm

Nyssa sylvatica Marsh.
[size=+4]Black Tupelo[/b][/font][/size]
Cornaceae -- Dogwood family
N. sylvatica Marsh. var. sylvatica Black [size=+2]Tupelo (typical)[/size]
Charles E. McGee
N. sylvatica var. biflora (Walt.) Sara. [size=+2]Swamp Tupelo[/size]
Kenneth W. Outcalt
Black tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica) is divided into two commonly recognized varieties, typical black tupelo (var. sylvatica) and swamp tupelo (var. biflora). They are usually identifiable by their differences in habitats: black tupelo on light-textured soils of uplands and stream bottoms, swamp tupelo on heavy organic or clay soils of wet bottom lands. They do intermingle in some Coastal Plain areas and in those cases are hard to differentiate. These trees have moderate growth rate and longevity and are an excellent food source for wildlife, fine honey trees, and handsome ornamentals.
BLACK TUPELO
Black tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica var. sylvatica) is also widely known as blackgum; other common names include sourgum, pepperidge, tupelo, and tupelogum.
Habitat
Native Range
Black tupelo grows in the uplands and in alluvial stream bottoms from southwestern Maine to New York, to extreme southern Ontario, central Michigan, Illinois, and central Missouri, and south to eastern Oklahoma, eastern Texas, and southern Florida. It is local in central and southern Mexico. Optimum development is made on lower slopes and terraces in the Southeastern United States. 

Caveman

Cartwright

I can't tell by the tree but there is Tupelo and then there is Black Gum. I have graded many mbf of each and have had to seperate it!  :( Not fun when sawn together at about 70mbf in 8 hrs!!!  :-[
Wood-Mizer LT50HDD47-RA
Eg 200 twin blade edger 25hp gas
Volvo L30 compact  wheel loader
Ford CL65 skid steer
'09 F250 Super Duty Powerstroke 
Stihl ms391, 390, 029

Don P

I don't know of anyone still using a bee gum, they were from hollow pieces of our sylvatica, black gum, but that was common in my granddaddy's time, they didn't call it a hive, it was a "gum" even if it was a modern hive. I don't hear that anymore so I guess it is one of the old ways and old ways of talking that is fading away.

The tree grows a few years left handed and then a few years right, switching back and forth as the tree grows causing that interlocked grain. It makes good mallet heads because of that. My shop bench is made from it, it takes abuse pretty well. I've also used it for hidden splines in timber framing where they cannot be checked. I know they will not split unexpectedly, the visible wood will fail under load long before they do.

caveman

Today's tree of the day.  There are males and females of this tree (dioecious).  I think this one is a male.  My maternal grandfather, who lived in a town that has the same name as this tree, had one growing in his yard which was across the tracks from a phosphate pit. I spent several hot summer hours in the branches of that tree.

Caveman

WDH

Heartwood is a pretty yellow color.  Wood looks lke osage orange, but differs in that the pores of osage are filled with tyloses while the pores of this species is not.  Kinda like white oak versus red oak.  If the new growth stem is bruised or cut, it exudes a milky, latex like sap.  I read somewhere that the wood was used for airplane propellers in World War I because it was very strong for its weight.  Fruit is a delicious berry that I enjoy in late May very year.  To me, the bark looks like the little ridges that run up stem vertically looks like they were taped on.  Like thick masking tape.  Very distinctive look.  It has a cousin that was imported from China in the the 1700 - 1800's for the silk worm trade.

Southside

Are you saying it's male because you looked under the leaf or did you just mull it over before coming to that berry important conclusion?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Oh my, I spent many hours sitting in our tree and eating the fruit before the Bluejays got it. 

Never sawed it.

LeeB

Got one by the front gate. Almost cut it down last month before I looked up and noticed the fruit hanging from it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tule peak timber

Ahh, pah, give me a hint.....
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Texas Ranger

Quote from: tule peak timber on June 06, 2019, 09:09:34 AM
Ahh, pah, give me a hint.....

You will just have to mull it over.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

Tule Peak:  hints, central Florida, phosphate mines/pits, berries, town name, imported and very pubescent cousin that is now invasive here- still mulling it over?

Southside, I have never seen berries on this one which indicated it is probably not a female.  I do not think the males of this species are all steers but I have never seen any with nuts :D, even after looking under the leaves.

MM, the berries are scrumptious.

WDH, I had forgotten about the white sap.  As boys we used to throw knives and other sharp things at trees and this one would leak profusely when stuck.

A little history:

https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3601&context=flstud_pub

When member Jmoore (John) and I were in high school we installed spas and hot tubs as one of our jobs.  One day we installed a tub for an old man that gave us a first hand account of some of the nefarious events that occurred in and around the tree mentioned in the article.
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

If 5th or 6th grade we were all given a silk worm or two to take home.  We had one of these trees in our front yard and mine ate well!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

bwstout

i mull this around think that I planted three of them in my yard last year ;D
home built mill

Thank You Sponsors!