iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me Stihl 024 Super

Started by Wallys World, May 29, 2009, 07:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallys World

I think I found a deal on Craigs List. The ad had only been on for less than 18 hours. There was an ad for a Stihl chainsaw, not running, best offer. I called the guy and left a message. Less than an hour later he called back and I offered him $40 for it. He said I'll pull the ad and we made arrangements to meet for the pick up. I paid him the $40 and checked it out when I got home. It needed a gas cap and a chain, other than that I couldn't see anything else wrong. I did true the bar edge up before installing the new chain and put a new spark plug in. I filled the tanks up and within 3 pulls it was running. I did some test cuts and it seems fine. I thought the oiler wasn't working right so i put a sheet of white paper on the ground and there is a trail of oil on it. Time will tell.

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

WMcGinn

Sounds like a nice deal,  congrats.     8)

Would you take $50 for it? smiley_devilish   just kidding.

wm
There's plenty of room for all God's creatures...... right next to the Mashed potatoes.

timber tramp

Good deal, I've got a 024 wood boss I picked up at a garage sale a couple years ago and I really like the little saw. Handy for alot of things. I'm not sure, but I think the 024 saws are the smallest rear handled pro saws Stihl made.                                           :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Al_Smith

Stihl made several that were smaller .020 rear handle,011,012 etc .

RSteiner

I had an 024 Super back a number of years ago.  The saw did more work than it should have.  Thinking it needed a break after many years of use I put it on the shelf to rest a while and got a new replacement for it.  A couple of years later a good friend moved back ito the area he had trees to cut but no saw so I put some gas in the 024 and it started right up.  He still has the saw today and uses it now and then.

Randy
Randy

timber tramp

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 07, 2009, 12:17:51 PM
Stihl made several that were smaller .020 rear handle,011,012 etc .

I stand corrected.  ;) Thanks Al.        :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

stonebroke

I think the 020 was a pro saw but not the others?

Stonebroke

Al_Smith

The 020 itself can be confusing .The original was sold in both top handle model and rear handle .Then came the 020 T and ultimately the MS 200 T .

The original 020 is a side carb  side exhaust model engine where as the 020 and Ms 200T's are rear carb bottom exhaust .

Some of those 011,012's while maybe not pro models did find there way into the tree tops as climbing saws .Then too many not really pro saws did also .

That said an 024 while somewhat dated is a neat little saw for light work,handy as a pocket on a shirt .

bet.alter

was just given a 028wb.  guy said it would'nt run.  I cleaned out the carb and surrounding area and within two pulls it fired up.  still runs sloppy, but I haven't fine tuned the jets yet.  I am looking for the secret ipl for this machine if anyone can help. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!