iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Predictable disobedient logs

Started by kelLOGg, April 23, 2022, 07:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Thanks to what I think I have learned on the FF over the years I could anticipate this log's behavior.

It has a curve and the piths are way off center on this 14' long, 20" dia (big end) log. I rotated it so the hump was up (ala Magicman) and roughly squared it to a beam. Note that the pith is at the bottom of the cant and half of it is missing and that the cathedral grain is fairly well lined up with the pith (think Customsawyer). The + marks what was the geometrical center if the log.

I drew lines 5.5" apart on the cant end which separate the lumber that will bow (inside the lines) and crook (outside the lines) ala Dboyt. The customer/neighbor wanted 5.5" x 1.5" lumber.

The crooked-prone lumber was sawn about 12" wide and then sawn in half and as it turned out there was very little crooked lumber but the bowed lumber was rather dramatic. 
Below is a picture of the 5.5" wide cant clamped to the mill and lumber bowing off as it was cut but it was of uniform thickness and heavily bowed. At the last 4" of the cut the 5.5 x 1.5 piece broke away from the cant.

The cant had to be clamped several times and I could have used more clamps but all-
in-all I am pleased with the outcome and hope the neighbor is too. 

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

Congrats on getting-r-sawed.  ;D

Each and every log is an individual unto itself.  Your face openings were different than I would have done but the proper orientation for the 'saw through' is what you were looking for.  The thing to remember is that bowed framing lumber is OK, but crook is a waste. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trimguy

Thank you for the explanation with pictures, it's helped me understand what will bow and what will crook better.

Thank You Sponsors!