iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw size

Started by CabinFever, June 12, 2015, 10:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Quote from: Dixon700 on July 22, 2015, 11:43:31 AM
My 460 with a 25" bar is all around pretty versatile and there really isn't anything in these pa woods around me that it couldn't cut pretty easy.

X2!  8) I keep my 460 for when I need a 24/5" bar or more. Has yet to let me down in some big stuff.  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

John Mc

Quote from: skipster on July 22, 2015, 05:08:01 AM
i just spent a day cutting,alternating between my new MS362(60cc) and my beat up 044(70cc)
The 362 was lighter,smoother ,less vibration,started easier etc
but when the 044 got into the wood,there was no comparison,it blew the 362 away.
I hate to say it,having spent so much money on a new saw,but I reckon , 70cc rules.

"There is no replacement for displacement" (i.e. the 70cc saw should win)

Any chance some of the difference you noted was due to a difference in chain type or condition? THat can be a major variable.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ladylake

The best buy out there is the Echo CS590 for $400 which will have a hugh  improvement in cutting speed over your 029 and weigh about the same. Yes a good 70cc will cut faster but not by that much.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Maine logger88

A good 70cc saw will cut quite abit faster than a 60cc provided both have a sharp chain. But it's all relative to what your doing if it's just a few cord a year then it probably doesn't make much difference but if it's 1 or 2 thousand a year it adds up. I've also noticed 70cc saws seem to hold up better than smaller saws when there being pushed for production every day
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

4x4American

The west wasn't won with a 60cc saw don't ya know?
Boy, back in my day..

HolmenTree

Quote from: 4x4American on July 29, 2015, 10:05:39 PM
The west wasn't won with a 60cc saw don't ya know?
How about a 30cc Echo chainsaw in 1974 cutting down a 6 foot diameter redwood in 55 minutes running time?
Getting a little quite around here so I thought I'd  give you all something  to read. ;D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

4x4American

They had to have been pretty board!
Boy, back in my day..

HolmenTree

Quote from: 4x4American on July 29, 2015, 11:31:54 PM
They had to have been pretty board!
Yeah they got over 7,000 "board" feet of lumber out of that tree.
But "bored" ......I don't  think so :D :)

Maine logger88

That's an interesting read thanks holmen!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

HolmenTree

Quote from: Maine logger88 on July 30, 2015, 07:03:22 PM
That's an interesting read thanks holmen!
Thanks ML88.
Just goes to prove we had very capable saws if not more capable woodcutters over 40 years ago. :)

Native Cutter

that is amazing. would have been fun to be there just to tell the story if nothin else! lol.  i may know a descendant of one of them, ima check to see now!

the old ssaws were slower but torqueier, is that a word?  now i dont know of a 30cc that gutsy, but i do know that there was a guy around here that big bored and zipped a 346xp and ran a 32 on it thru some bigger fir and it ripped. so its not unthinkable to do something almost as grand. lol

very cool any day of the week tho. too bad echo didnt hang on around here. i hadnt seen a pro echo in years till a couple months ago.

4x4American

yea hotsaws101 did that to his 346, called it the microhowler lol
Boy, back in my day..

SawTroll

Quote from: Native Cutter on July 30, 2015, 10:06:45 PM
......., . i hadnt seen a pro echo in years till a couple months ago.

Those really are Shindaiwas, as far as I now.  ;)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on August 03, 2015, 09:52:03 AM
Quote from: Native Cutter on July 30, 2015, 10:06:45 PM
......., . i hadnt seen a pro echo in years till a couple months ago.

Those really are Shindaiwas, as far as I now.  ;)
Yes at one time Echo and Shindaiwas had some good potential in the pro market.
When the new generation 024 and 034 Stihls first came out in 1984 manufacturers were scrambling to catch up. Shindaiwa had a nice quick ergonomic 60-70cc model.
Echo was playing  with a great designed  twin cylinder model in 60cc but ended up as a rebadged JohnDeere and became probably  one of the nicest best running weekend  saw in history.

Native Cutter

4x4American, isnt that a cool little saw? Suprised the heck out of me that it held that much torque thru the cut on that fir log. An amazing faller him, mad skills.

Holmen Tree and Saw Troll, this is interesting about the pro echos/shindaiwas! And I remember when we thought they might be a saw to go to in a few years but it never panned out.
I remember the only Shindaiwa I ever saw being used by a professional cutter, he was really proud of it as it was fast and light and the next best thing, he couldnt wait to get into the brush! a few days later it went back to to dealer in a box that he gathered it all up in!! LOL.

There were a few Echos being run but only really until their owners could get a Stihl or Husky. Steve, one of the best cutters around and one of my dads foreman, he had his stihl go down and was able to fit it with parts from an Echo. Took some work with a file and drill but he got it runnin and the infamous Stihlecho was born! lol.

Thank You Sponsors!