iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dust collector vent hood design?

Started by SawyerBrown, April 11, 2016, 06:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Just bought a "real" dust collector for my wood shop (to supplement the furnace blower / furnace filters design I have now), and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for vent hoods?  Seems like they need to be down relatively close to the machines, but then having enough light might be a problem.  What are you all doing?  (Pictures would be great!!)  Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

DDW_OR

Maybe LED lights mounted in the Hood?
remember, the bigger the hood, the bigger the CFM needed.

also add a Cyclone separator to remove the large chunks from the fine dust.

I plan to use a squirrel cage to provide the suction. so here is my plan
Hood > cyclone > large 4'x4'x4' box > Filter > squirrel cage
the 4x4x4 box is to allow the dust to settle out of the air
"let the machines do the work"

ozarkgem

Quote from: SawyerBrown on April 11, 2016, 06:47:39 AM
Just bought a "real" dust collector for my wood shop (to supplement the furnace blower / furnace filters design I have now), and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for vent hoods?  Seems like they need to be down relatively close to the machines, but then having enough light might be a problem.  What are you all doing?  (Pictures would be great!!)  Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Are you talking about a hood like a grill hood over a stove?  For my small planer I used a floor register from an HVAC store. It is 12# wide. You could use 2 for wider applications. Cheap maybe 5 bucks each. A hood would require a LOT of cfm.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Thank You Sponsors!