iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oak pegs

Started by GREEN, September 20, 2005, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GREEN

Is there anyone out there who can help me? I am constructing my first oak frame, so far so good.
Now for the question does anyone know where I can purchase 1" tapered oak pegs (I am going to use draw-boring method).
I live in North Wales United Kingdom, and I am hoping there are some u.k. members who can help on the whereabouts of a supplier. The frame is 8" so I would imagine I would need 10" long pegs? what size pegs should be used for inch hole i.e tapering from what to what? also which is best green or dry pegs?

srjones

I realize you're across the pond, but you might consider contacting Scott and Judy Northcott at Northcott Wood Turning http://www.pegs.us/.  I don't know if they ship internationally, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.  Their site is very informative as well.
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

beetle

Cant help you in the UK. There has been discussion here in the past regarding suppliers in  the US, in addition, threads about geen vs. dry pegs. You can search and pull up the threads.

J
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Octoman

Welcome to the forum GREEN!

After reading a few posts on the timber framing section about a month ago, i got into my workshop and had a go at making an octagonal peg out of Beech. It went well.  I don't know what the draw boring method is so im not sure if a tapered peg is essential.  However, from what i was reading an octagonal peg has a better 'bite' in the hole than a round peg.  I think i'm right in saying that dry Beech is stronger than Oak as well.  Finally, i believe a dry peg is required so that once in the hole and takes on moisture from the air it will expand and create a tighter fit for the structure.
So in a nutshell, if a dry Beech 'Octopeg' is of any use get in touch! Otherwise i don't know of anyone specifically making pegs, can't imagine its too hard for anyone with a lathe though.
WM LT 15 - Fortune favours the Brave!

Jim_Rogers

Years ago, I learned how to create pegs from blocks of wood using a "froe" and a mallet.
The squares chopped from the block where shaped on a shaving horse to a octagonal shape using a draw knife.
Here are my timber framing workshop, I teach each student how to make their own pegs.
We use rough sawn lumber and cut it into squares about the same size as the peg and just shape the edges to fit a test hole.
If during this shaping an testing you see any cross grain in the peg blank you should throw it out and get a new one and move on.
There should be threads here on the forum about making pegs.
You could try and buy some dry lumber in the UK and create your own pegs.
If you don't have a draw knife, I can sell you one, but the shipping will be the most.

Welcome.
And keep asking questions.
Also, if you really don't want to try and make your own, you could contact other timber framer in the UK at the UK timber framers fellowship website, and ask them who makes pegs over there. If you need the link let me know.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

hayton1960

Its not hard to make them. Jack sobon has some good instructions in his book build a classic timber framed house. When It comes time to get my pegs, that is the method I'll be using.
I once made some spindles for a chair from cleften ash. I used a blunt axe to split them out rough, then sharp (slicing not chopping) axe and wooden spokeshave to adjust them to the right diameter. I used a block with the hole size drilled in as a sort of test hole template (as Jim described) to test my spindles against. Riving is the traditional way, but if you saw intelligently with the grain, that would work just as well. Its just getting decent stock in this country. Have good success with your efforts mate smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_thumbsup

Timburr

GREEN, welcome aboard the forum.

I'm probably your nearest forum neighbour smiley_thumbsup_grin   Where are you based?

I made some pegged oak door frames for a ye olde cottage and the pegs were needed yesterday metaphorically. No time to hunt out suppliers, so I spoke-shaved some and threw them in the microwave to dry them. Pegs must be dry dry to remain tight.

Because you are building an oak frame, you'll need gallons of them, so making your own might become a bit tedious if you haven't the time or patience. Sorry I can't help with a supplier.

Cheers Tim
Sense is not common

hayton1960

I dont know if your German is any good, but theres someone selling wood tree nails on e-bay "holznagel eichennagel fur fachwerk". They are the sort with a square head left on one end. Might be worth a look, buy it now for 6 "yooroes" :D
Cheers, Jonathan

Timburr

If you are still looking to buy oak pegs, rather than making them, then link up to THIS.
They are advertising on a Marches based site (Shropshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire), which is relatively local to you, depending where in N. Wales you live. They only have a mobile contact no., so their exact location is a mystery.

Happy hunting Tim
Sense is not common

Thank You Sponsors!