iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 028 not running

Started by steele109, May 05, 2018, 09:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steele109

Hi I need help I  have 2 028 stihl saws. One I rebuilt into a super the other is stock.I can't get either one to run.I'm about ready to through in the towel. I've been working on them of and on for about six months. Here is what I  have done so far changed intake boots,impulse lines,carbs,fuel lines, reseated the cylinders. I've put clutch side seals in both,pressure tested, vacuume tested both. They both will run on a little mix squirted in the intake but that is it. Oh I just put new outer and inner rings on the boots at the carb.Any suggestions?

knuckledragger

I really hope this suggestion doesn't offend you & it's probably been done already. Tank filter & vent.

steele109

Hi believe me at this point not much offends me.On the stock saw I took the set screw out and it didn't change.I've rebuilt 2 oem carbs and 1 aftermarket and tried them all.I also put oem 029 coils on both of them.

Vladislav500

Hi , maybe the impulse or fuel line clamped.

Husky 353 Black Custom
Poulan S25DA
Montgomery Ward Powr Kraft 5.0
Dayton 2Z563A
Craftsman: 2.0/14", 2.1/14" , 2.3/16"
Homelite: XL 12, 923, XP1020
Remington Mighty Mite 500
McCULLOCH: PM 310, Euromac PM 374,Euromac PM 480
Soviet ZID "The Beast" 245 Taiga

steele109

Hi I pressure test and vacuume test through the impulse line so it seems fine.I tried a aftermarket fuel line and changed to a new oem line with the same results same with filters.I checked in the tank for obstructions or kinks and saw none,but you can pull it 20 times with the choke on and the plug is still dry. Last night I took the tank vent completely off same results.Both saws have at least a half tank of fresh fuel mix.

ZeroJunk

If you have sufficient compression it almost has to be a problem with the carburetors.

steele109

Hi the stock saw has around 160 pounds compression. I changed the fuel line again. I didn't have another oem new fuel line so I put a stihl weed eater gromet in it with a piece of black fuel line I get at the stihl dealer.I put the filter on, stuck it in the tank,put the lid on and before I got the hose cut,had fuel running out.I then tried 3 carbs two after market and a tillitson.Pulled at least ten times each and not a pop and the plug is still dry.

Ron Scott

Quote from: steele109 on May 06, 2018, 01:00:17 PM
Hi I pressure test and vacuume test through the impulse line so it seems fine.I tried a aftermarket fuel line and changed to a new oem line with the same results same with filters.I checked in the tank for obstructions or kinks and saw none,but you can pull it 20 times with the choke on and the plug is still dry. Last night I took the tank vent completely off same results.Both saws have at least a half tank of fresh fuel mix.
Is the issue the same with a "full" gas tank?
~Ron

ZeroJunk

Make sure the control lever is closing the choke properly and that the choke is making a good seal.

The choke in the filter never worked as well as putting it in the carb IMO, and it does not take much of  a leak for it not to choke at all.  Plus, if you use the control lever with the filter off you can get the ground strap over top of it and put everything in a bind.

But, if everything else is in order some mix down the carb should get the saw going choke or not.

Vladislav500

Hi if pressure and vacuum tests are ok and carb is fine and choke is closing properly it means that tehere's no impulse from the engine to carb or fuel cannot be supplied to carb. I mean that fuel line or impulse line could be jammed or carb gasket isnt tight.
Husky 353 Black Custom
Poulan S25DA
Dayton 2Z563A

steele109

Hi I haven't filled them all the way up with fuel. I haven't tried that.The pressure and vac test were good except for a small air leak at the back of the carb.I submerged them to find that.I haven't tried a gasket,I just bought new inner and outer rings for the manifold.I thought that would fix the problem.I ran a straw off a can of carb cleaner through the impulse line to make sure it wasn't plugged or jammed. I have looked at the choke in the air filter off the machine and manually closed it but don't know how to check it on the machine. They look like they close good but it's anybodies guess when I put them back on.As for the carbs I cleaned both in a ultra sonic and put kits in them but as everybody knows that's a crap shoot.The aftermarket carbs are new.I'll put a gasket on one and try it next.

steele109

Good news put a carb gasket on it and the filter.Pulled 15 to 20 times and nothing so I cheked the plug it had just a mist of fuel on it.I took the filter of and squirted some mix in the carb and it fired and ran it out,the second time it took off,it revved up and would idle and I shut it off and it would crank back up. I will try tuning it tomorrow and do the same thing with the other one.Thanks for every ones help,it's like a weight off my shoulders,it's the first time the stock one has ever revved on it's own. ;D

Texas-Jim

Did you check to see if you have impulse? With out impulse it cant suck fuel, that is the fuel pump on two stroke.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Vladislav500

Hi try to unscrew L and H more. 
Husky 353 Black Custom
Poulan S25DA
Dayton 2Z563A

ZeroJunk

Make sure the tab on the control shaft that pushes the choke closed is not broken. I have seen that.

And, if all else fails try another air filter. Ten pulls with a saw that has not been running is not out of the ordinary with the choke in the filter. But, 20 is a little much.

And, like he says , you  may need to richen it up some.

steele109

Hi I ordered 2 new choke/filters last night.I did the same thing with the super that I did with the stocker.I put a gasket on the carb, then sprayed mix in the carb.The second time it took off it would rev and idle and after it warmed up it would recrank without the spray.So to summarize the carb gasket fixed the small air leak and both air filters were old odds are they weren't sealing the choke.They ran good enough that I got them pretty well tuned with the tack.I'll repost when the filters arrive to let you know if they crank without a nudge. Thanks every one for all the help and advice.

knuckledragger

Steele109, good sticktooitive. Great example of you ain't wooped till you quit. 028 super was the very first brand new saw I bought. Bought the saw in '85.

steele109

Well I got the two new choke/filters in (aftermarket) and they made no difference.Neither saw would start without a squirt. I haven't spent a lot of time on them,too many other projects with higher priorities. I know they should work, but they don't. They run great after you prime them. I have them both tuned pretty well. They will crank back after you prime them once but set them down for a few days and the process starts all over. Oh well back to the drawing board.

ZeroJunk

With the filter cover off and the control lever in choke position take a small screw driver or whatever and see if the control levers are holding the little choke tab tight in the closed position.

On saws with that type choke a consciously push down more firmly on the control lever and again after a few pulls .

steele109

There was no give,I pulled about ten times and pushed down again and pulled a bunch more and no pop.

Thank You Sponsors!