iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cable will not release on logging winch

Started by Blairgowrie, September 24, 2008, 07:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blairgowrie

I seem to be having a problem with the cable release on my Fransgard logging winch that I hope someone can help me with. If I wind the cable all the way in, the only way I can get the cable to pull back out is to tie a chain around a tree, attach it to the end of the cable and pull the cable back out. It doesn't take much pulling it but it is the only way I can get it back out. If I try to pull it out manually, there seems to be a "spring" resistance that I can't break.

I don't have a manual and don't know what the internal release mechanism is.

Many thanks.     

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum,Blairgowie. I have a Norse,so I can't really help you.But I think they are just about all alike when it comes to the inside mechanism.Did you somehow bent something inside? Did anything happen when this problem started?Just trying to make sure we all on the same page here.I suppose the release is not working right.Can you see it working back and forth when you release it?You say when I wind the cable all the way in.What about if you stop 20-30 feet from the winch,can you pull it out by hand OK?Jusy one more thing.At times with mine,I will get a stray lenght of cable that will wind up outside the drum.Than I have to hook it to a tree and have to pull the cable out all the way and re-wind it onto the drum.I find this helps whenever the cable starts to pull kinda hard.Sometimes I use the winch harder than what I should when I am pulling in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Does it drag the whole way out, or does it finally release once you get it going?

If it drags the whole way out, I wonder if your brake is dragging. I've got a differnt model winch, but there is usually an adjustment for drag when freewheeling out (too loose, and it runs ahead, making a rat's nest on your drum. Too tight and it's tough to pull out.)

If you can't find anything wrong with the release mechanism or brake, it might be a problem with how it's wound on the drum. If it's wound up loosely (with little or no tension), then you put tension on when winding a few wraps over those loose layers, you will pull your outer wraps down into the loose wraps below. Tangling or kinking can be the result.

If you think this is the problem, try unwinding your cable almost all the way. Leave only about 3 wraps on the drum. Then wind it back in under load ... for example by dragging a log. You don't have to max out your winch capacity on this, but just having someone pull on the end as you are winching in probably is not enough.

Hope you find your problem. Sorry if my suggestions are too basic... I'm relatively new to using a logging winch on my tractor.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Maineloggerkid

The release mechanism on my fransgard is an external peice of flat bar, so that is not likely the problem. It sounds like it is mis-wound( as John said) or you have a kink at the end of your mainline.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

beenthere

When winding the cable "all the way in" as you describe, might it be that the last movement of the drum actually cinches the cable down into the wound cable/spool, making it snug and tight? 

If you stop winding in just before it gets tight, can you then pull it back by hand? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Blairgowrie

Wow! Thanks for all the replies in such a short time gents.

Rather than trying to answer each question individually let me clarify my original post.

If I wind the cable in but leave a foot or so hanging, I can pull the cable all the way out easily by hand. Apart from the initial inertia issue, there is no drag or resistance once the cable breaks loose. It is only when I wind it all the way in that I have the problem. I am not aware of any single event that may have damaged anything. Since the problem first started a couple of days ago, I have had the cable almost all the way out and pulled many logs in  thereby rewinding the cable. Apart from the odd little kink in the cable and some single strands of wire that have popped, the cable is in very good condition.

Is there any good way to lubricate the cable perhaps with some grease or is that a no-no?  I was also thinking of grinding some of the single strands back flush with the cable to minimize the chance of causing a jam.

I hope I have covered off most of the points raised.

beenthere

Then, if I hear you right....leave an inch or two hanging..and don't cinch it up tight. I think you are locking that last wind down in the roll of cable on the drum, and fighting to get it out.

Try the grease on the last stretch of cable that goes around the drum last.

Let us know.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

That sure sounds like the last wrap of cable is getting pulled down into the lower wraps. You then need a good tug to get it pulled back out. I would suggest unwinding it all the way and rewinding under load. Having nice, tight wraps will minimize the problem.

The suggestion to not wind it all the way tight is also a good one. Leave a couple inches of slack.

Lastly, you want the drag brake to put a slight amount of drag on the spool even when freewheeling. This keeps the spool from running ahead and throwing up a few loose wraps when you are pulling the cable out by hand. It's a fine line to adjust. Too tight, and you're working too hard to pull the cable out. Too loose, and you get the loose wraps which tend to tangle. Being careful when pulling out the cable helps as well. A steady pull works best. Don't give a big jerk, since this tends to start the spool spinning and throws more slack.

I found all this out the hard way. I was a relative newbie to logging winches. My helper had no experience. He needed slack and gave it a big jerk. I didn't think to check things out. We winched in a good sized log, then couldn't get the cable out at all... even when tied to a tree. Took a good bit of fiddling to free up the tangled wraps.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Stephen Alford

Hi there; whenever I am done fueling the machine I put about a cup of diesel on my cable seems to extend their life and make them easier to work with. :) Stephen
logon

Blairgowrie

Thanks guys. All good suggestions.

I haven't been using the winch for the past couple of days. Too busy sawing the stuff I have been cutting but I should get around to it shortly.

Dale Hatfield

I have not used that winch and know nothing about it but here is a good  wiching tip.
hitch you log pull them up travel to landing. Release winch and pull foward  about 10 feet or more then park unhitch and wind cable in  no load .
makes for more room to unhook dont have to climb over logs or fight  against the machine to get to choakers.
Plus when you make next hitch cable most always will pull free . Because the last few wraps on the drum are the ones that get meshed in with lower wraps and get stuck .
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Blairgowrie

Thanks for the tip Dale. That makes a lot of sense.  I have been wrestling with getting the chokers off and you are right; they are usually tangled up under another log.

Blairgowrie

Finally got around to pulling some very large hemlock out today.

Pleased to say I didn't have one lock up after using all the tips you kind gents posted. I think it was all a question of understanding the release mechanism and the consequences of a tight wind.

Thanks again for all your help.

Thank You Sponsors!