iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Prices

Started by tyb525, March 12, 2009, 06:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Is there someplace where I can find the current market prices of hardwood per board foot?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Bill_G

You can try the Hardwood Market Report. I think it is hmr.com

ljmathias

Thanks for the link to HMR but when I tried to access information, it said I had to join for $240 per year- seems a little high for the average interested non-large-scale-commercial sawyer?  Any other sources available?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Cedarman

This is where it pays to be buddies with some of the big sawmills.  They usually subscribe.  If I need to look at one, I just stop by to  have a little chat about business.  (Sometimes they are too busy to chat so I get right to the point).  They always let me look at the current issue and usually let me have a few old copies which work well for me.  I am usually looking for who has cedar and if there are any prices quoted.  I don't need to invest $240 a year either.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

tyb525

I'll have to agree that $240 is a bit steep. I'm thinking of averaging prices from other sawyers in this area.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Banjo picker

Quote from: ljmathias on March 13, 2009, 06:14:11 AM
Thanks for the link to HMR but when I tried to access information, it said I had to join for $240 per year- seems a little high for the average interested non-large-scale-commercial sawyer?  Any other sources available?

Lj

Its a conspiricy folks, just like the Jfk deal.  I noticed you are from Ms.  The U of Miss use to produce a market report, but now here in the state you have to be a member of Forest to Market to get any thing meaningful..  They may give you a little sampling .  You might try that.  I wonder if several of us here on the forum would poney up about 10 each and then share the infor. I would be interested if any one else is..   Would we be in some sort of violation for doing that?   :o  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

PAFaller

I wouldnt say you can rely on the Hardwood Market Report these days either. Talked to a sawmill lumber salesmen a week or two back at a meeting and he said they can't print it fast enough to account for the price dropping so fast as inventories keep piling up. If you look at the newest issue dont go banking on the prices listed.
It ain't easy...

Bill_G

Another option is that there are usually yards that buy lumber from mills and have kilns and planer facility. I used to sell to Northland Forest Products in NH, and they also have a yard in Virginia, very nice people. If you locate yards like theirs in your area they will give you the price they pay wholesale. If you want to sell retail you just ad cost of drying and planing, storage, etc. and this will give you a ball park. I know Northland does not care how big or small your mill is as long as the lumber meets their specs.  They did all trimming and grading which helps small mill owners, but are very honest and always consistant with grade and payment. I'm sure there are also outfits out there that are shady. But it's a good place to get informed.

Chico

It's worth what you can get for things are so volitle right now and mills are doing so much to appease customers it's tough for the small guy Even grade lumber is customer dictated a lot of the time you used to be able to take an order send and if there was a dispute you could call a national man in to settle it and it was done now you do it their way or not  too many producers not enough customers right now
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Thank You Sponsors!