iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Prices

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 06, 2011, 09:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Is there a web-site I can go to, to see what a sawyer sells his lumber for? I'm in S.C. and would like to see prices close to my state or in my state.

I'm not talking about sawing lumber for someone, but selling boards a sawyer has milled from his own wood.

Thanks, David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

shelbycharger400

i saw this craigslist add today... from a sawer...

Walnut $1.5 board ft. Red oak $0.75. Cherry 1.5

kinda gives me perspective.

Kansas

First problem is, what grade is he selling? There is probably a 3-4 times difference between #2 common Red Oak, and FAS Red Oak. Someone on here probably gets the NHLA price list, and could verify that. The thing is, if you are retailing, that list really doesn't tell you what the price is for small amounts, or if you let someone pick through the pile. Are you planning on kiln drying? Selling green to a wholesaler? Retailing to anyone that walks in the door? Flooring market? If you plan on cutting into the open established markets where you don't retail, the price will be dictated to you. If you plan on selling retail, then you can establish the price and adjust accordingly your price depending on competitors that do the same thing you are and by listening to your customers. This probably doesn't help in your area, but examples of prices we get for top of the line, let the customer pick his own boards, kiln dried lumber are such. RO 2.40 Walnut 3.80 Hackberry 1.60 QS White Oak 2.80. Your area may not support those prices.

paul case

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on July 06, 2011, 10:23:43 PM
i saw this craigslist add today... from a sawer...

Walnut $1.5 board ft. Red oak $0.75. Cherry 1.5

kinda gives me perspective.
i can get $1.50 for my walnut logs if they are bigger than 12'' x 8'.
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

scgargoyle

I was quoted $.70 bd/ft for sawn red oak, 1X6 in Pickens County. I didn't ask the grade, or get a chance to look at it. I'm gonna be looking for a couple thousand bd/ft soon if your sellin'.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

inspectorwoody

http://www.hmr.com/Public/Default.aspx

The Hardwood Market Report is what we use. It may not be practical for a small operation as it costs $250 a year.

It shows what the green and kiln dried prices are for different areas.

Although this is not really a retail guide, it helps give a baseline.

You can email them and they will send you a print sample or you can view a sample online.

I would suggest doing some searching on the internet and find mills etc. that sell lumber retail close to you and that should give you an idea.

Here is our retail sheet: http://www.wlumber.com/Documents/Retail%20Lumber%20Price%20List.pdf

Not sure how current it is etc. but it may be of some help to you and others also.

Thank You Sponsors!