iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best speed to enter a log?

Started by WLC, May 22, 2017, 02:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLC

Still an utter novice and still learning how to saw on my LT 28.  When entering a log or cant I wind up having more "chatter" marks in the wood where the blade enters the wood.  Any way to stop or minimize this?  Faster entry, slower entry?  BTW, my mill is manual feed if that makes a difference. Thanks.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Magicman

Flutter can be affected by less/more blade tension.  I enter the log at sawing speed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

I enter the log slow as most that I saw are hardwood and dried out on the ends which makes tough sawing for the first 6 inches.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

LeeB

I enter at only slightly less than sawing speed and ramp up as soon as the blade is buried.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bandmiller2

I'am never in a rush and mill at a moderate rate, I will slow down when coming into knots or notice the band starting to dive. I enter the log the same speed I mill the rest of it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

Quote from: LeeB on May 22, 2017, 06:35:38 PM
I enter at only slightly less than sawing speed and ramp up as soon as the blade is buried.

This, usually. It depends on species and quality. Clear red oak or black cherry and i can fly.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 22, 2017, 08:09:26 PM
Quote from: LeeB on May 22, 2017, 06:35:38 PM

This, usually. It depends on species and quality. Clear red oak or black cherry and i can fly.

Same.  Except if I'm sawing a really wide piece of hardwood then I'll enter two bits more slowerer just for fun not for serious
Boy, back in my day..

Lumber Grader

You should be able to enter a log at sawing speed. There is an article written about this. It is called, "Are You Ready To Saw Production". It is written by Tim Cook, an owner of Cooks Sawmills. They are one of the FF Sponsors, so all you have to do is click on the link on the FF to their website and they have some great articles written by Tim or either his brother Steven. These guys know their stuff and the articles are their free to read and will help you in the daily operation of your band sawmill.

Larry

When the band hits the log it slows down.  When the band slows too much a wave results.  With a small gas engine the band slows much more than with a high horsepower diesel.  Do what works for you, not what somebody with a high horsepower diesel does.

I hit a 12" pine log fast, today I was sawing 24" white oak with dried out ends....I hit the log slow.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DYank

You should only enter a log as fast as she will let you. :D :D
Dean

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishfighter

With a small hp mill, I really listen to the motor. That dictates how fast I go in and thru the cut.

ladylake

Quote from: Larry on May 22, 2017, 10:52:16 PM
When the band hits the log it slows down.  When the band slows too much a wave results.  With a small gas engine the band slows much more than with a high horsepower diesel.  Do what works for you, not what somebody with a high horsepower diesel does.

I hit a 12" pine log fast, today I was sawing 24" white oak with dried out ends....I hit the log slow.

I'd like to see anyone with a 1 1/4 band hit a dried out 24" white oak at full speed and not have the band go up or down.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

I would hate to hit a dried out 24" white oak at any speed.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Wasn't bad at all....it was the nails that were the killer. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on May 23, 2017, 07:48:32 AM
When you do that, EVERYTHING says WHOA!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bkaimwood

Quote from: Magicman on May 23, 2017, 07:48:32 AM
I did just last week...heard the drive belt squeal... had to back down...either the belt was givin' or the diesel was givin'...the diesel wasn't givin'...got her sawed, 39" small end, 9 footer...
bk

OlJarhead

Hmmm....WM told me to enter slow and turn up the speed once in the log...been doing that a long time now.  Said it was hard on the band to enter at sawing speed but I notice when I'm milling a CANT down to lumber if I enter faster it seems to cut smoother.

Maybe I'll try going in quicker in the future.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

4x4American

If I'm down to a small cant I fly through it, enter at sawing speed and just hammer down!
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

it all depends on how fast you are sawing  ??? if you make cut in 15 seconds you are hitting the log alot harder than if you make a cut at 45 seconds :) i have never seen a wm saw in person  but i can tell you the b20 will jerk a small log out of the clamp if you hit it at sawing speed and i think it only has a 28 hp gas engine but in the small logs i am cutting fast :) fast enough to pull the rpms down to about 3/4 of no load wot if i push it any harder it will get slow enough to get wavy ;)
how fast you can enter the log depends on alot things such as hp type of wood and type of mill you have :)

and unless you have alot more hp than you need any governed engine will perform better if the load is applied slowly as it gives the engine time to get back to speed at full hp  diesel engines fair better than gas engines but it helps all engines   keep in mind this 1/2 to 1 second so it not long
anyone ever broken a crankshaft or maybe a drive shaft ??? i have only broken 3 cranks and know why on all 3 ;D :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

It's easy to forget about the many variations of sawmills/engines and not take into consideration that there is no "one size fits all" regarding many sawing operations.  Since a run a Diesel, I had never thought about a gasoline engine having to "governor up" and adjust itself to the sawing load.  Yes a Diesel also has to adjust, but because of the torque available, this happens almost instantly.  There is no "hunting".  (At least with mine.)

For several years I was experiencing ~6" of ripple at the beginning of many cuts.  I finally realized that this was being caused by my entering slow and speeding up during that 6".  This ripple was eliminated when I began entering the log/cant at or near sawing speed.  If my engine slows down when I enter a log/cant or if the blade moves/jerks the log or cant, it's past time for me to get a dull blade off.

Deese

Everyone has pretty much covered this topic,  but having sawed around 100,000 board feet on a 13hp gas manual mill, then upgrading to a high HP diesel hydraulic, I can tell you from my own personal experience that they are worlds apart. But not in a bad way, but in a technical way.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

sandsawmill14

i should have added to the last post that with the s&w 125 30 hp electric you can enter the log as fast as you want it will either saw or lock the belts ;D if you hit it to hard in the bigger logs   but as mm said there are so many mills/engine/motor combinations only experience can tell you whats the best for your setup :) 
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

grouch

7 HP gasoline + manual saw + novice here + almost always dead standing stuff = eeeease into that log to see what's going to happen. If that goes well, try faster entry on the next cut.

I can go as fast as I can walk when sawing just a few inches wide at a time. ;D

There's an old dried out white oak around 20 inches waiting for me to figure out how to saw it. Glad to see some experienced sawyers speak on such things.

Find something to do that interests you.

Kbeitz

Just a habit for me but I enter slow. I was never around a band saw mill
and it's just the way I started out.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!