iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawlogs or veneer - what would you do?

Started by thekitz, December 18, 2013, 08:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thekitz

Hello All - thanks for any and all advice you can give me on this question. Today I was out in one of my favorite wood cutting "hot spots" and found 3 recently blown down red oaks. They are all huge and accesible. The two smaller Red Oaks are 22" diameter @ "breast height" and I can get roughly 40 clear feet (length) from these two trees. The "Grand Daddy" is 32" diameter @ "breast height" and I can get roughly 32 clear feet (length) from this one tree.

So my question is this - do I get the logs home and saw on my own mill (Norwood manual HD36) and sell lumber @ a conservative $1/board foot OR sell all the logs for "veneer logs? I know of some local sawmills here in Central Pennsylvania but do not know if they handle these logs .......... I have never dealt with any of these mills.
Norwood Manual HD36 sawmill - Stihl MS391 - F250 Ford Super Crew cab - 16 foot 10k GVW trailer - Logrite Fetching Arch - 22 ton woodsplitter - best dog in the world to keep me company and discuss anything

OneWithWood

Talk to one of you local veneer mills.  They will give you a good indication of whether or not the logs have value as veneer.
If you do saw them up for lumber ask a fair price for the lumber by grade.
$1 per bd ft is giving away the lumber and not recouping any of your expense.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

OH Boy

I have a similar situation with a 24 in Oak thats been down a couple of years, and has some fungi on it so may be getting some spalting. If I can get it out its about 30 ft of clear that I will use for personal project wood. it will also be my first try at quartersawing.

I'd agree with Onewithwood, and if they are veneer grade take the money and run to the new equipment store. If they aren't you still almost have to saw them and do something with it, sell it, use it, build a shed, stack it and barter it for chickens,  Just don't let it go to waste.

thekitz

Thanks OH BOY - these trees will not go to waste, just have to wait for some snow to melt. My biggest fear is that someone will beat me to the trees and saw them up for firewood ......... been there done that!
Norwood Manual HD36 sawmill - Stihl MS391 - F250 Ford Super Crew cab - 16 foot 10k GVW trailer - Logrite Fetching Arch - 22 ton woodsplitter - best dog in the world to keep me company and discuss anything

Ianab

Veneer would give the best return IF the logs grade as that.

If they "almost" make the grade they are still going to yield a lot of very nice lumber. Think Quartersawn or wide clear boards. Worth more than $1 a bd/ft anyway  ;)

Some of the boards will be low grade for sure, sell them for $1, but don't give away the good stuff.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

chevytaHOE5674

Because you mentioned somebody beating you to them I have to ask who owns the property that these logs are on? And is it legal for you to take them and sell them for either sawlogs or veneer?

mikeb1079

must be public land that they allow firewood cutting etc?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

timberlinetree

That some one would be my brother.  :). Good luck.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

thekitz

These trees are on land that was stripped mined for coal years ago. Its common practice in these areas that the land is open for about anything (it is not patrolled or posted) ATV, Motorcycle, Horseriding, hunting, firewood .....

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

chevytaHOE5674

Trying to profit from something taken from somebody's land without their permission is theft. Start selling some veneer logs and suddenly you could find yourself in the grand larceny/felony category, or timber theft and triple stumpage...

When I was buying logs and veneer the sellers had to have a description of where the wood was from and they also had to prove to me that the had the right to harvest and sell that timber.

ga jones

Sounds like your on the edge of the sproul state forest. Most of that strippens have been sold off to private land owners. You should check ownership. There is no unowned land here in pa.the coal company may still own it.or the state may have taken it over.Was it reclaimed yet? If the reclamation was done there will be a sign there that should have the owners name on it.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!