346 xp
346 xpg
Jonsred 90
576 xp

JD 440B with modified bunk

Mobile Dimensional Saw

Have tools no work.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JJohnson79

Quote from: thecfarm on August 12, 2017, 05:43:04 PM
I could use that.

It's really a solid machine. We've been having some issues with the fuel system getting air into it, but I think I fixed that issue with some time patience and a few trips to Autozone. More than enough power and amazingly stable for its size and design.

The engine is about as basic a diesel as you can get so even a schmuck like me can kinda work on it without too much fear of breaking it beyond repair.

The rotator is starting to leak but I'm going to wait on replacing it until its unworkable just because of how little use it actually gets right now vs the cost of a replacement

Cant wait to teach my 9yo to drive it, I figure it's safer than a car.
346 xp
346 xpg
Jonsred 90
576 xp

Mobile Dimensional Saw

Have tools no work.

snowstorm

Looks like it's built from a jd 440a
Is it one of a kind?

thecfarm

And,I forgot to ask,what part of the Ford truck got used?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JJohnson79

Quote from: snowstorm on August 12, 2017, 08:56:24 PM
Looks like it's built from a jd 440a
Is it one of a kind?

It's a 440B actually (Heavily Modified), the whole butt end is made from a Ford Dump Truck, not sure on the make or model of it. The machine is a champ.

It's been mentioned in the "Northern Logger" a few times.
346 xp
346 xpg
Jonsred 90
576 xp

Mobile Dimensional Saw

Have tools no work.

snowstorm

Those are 440a axles. The b.didnt have the cast hubs. Is that the machine Eric Johnson had??? If sorry to hear about him. I have been getting the northern logger for a long time

JJohnson79

Quote from: snowstorm on August 16, 2017, 07:19:44 PM
Those are 440a axles. The b.didnt have the cast hubs. Is that the machine Eric Johnson had??? If sorry to hear about him. I have been getting the northern logger for a long time

Unless Dave and Eric had been wildly miss informed thats the specs.

If you're a reader of the logger in the latest issue he talked about not running it out of fuel and what he would do if it had. Well I can tell you I know exactly what he did. He left it in the woods and called my cousin and I to come fix it. Which involved me climbing up onto a load of logs in mid march and pouring fuel into the tank while my cousin primed the machine.

The Dragon as I have started calling it was a nightmare to get running again but we did it.
346 xp
346 xpg
Jonsred 90
576 xp

Mobile Dimensional Saw

Have tools no work.

snowstorm

So was this Eric's machine? 440a  had the cast hubs. No turbo. The diff lock pushed down to engage. And a few other things. If a Deere runs out of fuel. Add fuel don't touch the filter. Work the hand pump until you hear fuel returning to the tank them keep pumping for another 30 sec. Usually they start pretty good after that

JJohnson79

Yup that was Erics machine.

Like I said, it's running again. Now if I can just keep the wasps from building nests in it.....
346 xp
346 xpg
Jonsred 90
576 xp

Mobile Dimensional Saw

Have tools no work.

Thank You Sponsors!