iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to make curved beams??

Started by opticsguy, December 31, 2017, 02:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Looking at a project that requires curved timbers and am curious how these are made??

An example would be;   4" x 6" x 16 foot long beam with a curve depth of about 18" 

I have a photo to share, however, seems impossible to post a photo, very confusing.

Thanks for your help!!!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

rcarlo233

Quote from: opticsguy on December 31, 2017, 02:29:04 PM
Looking at a project that requires curved timbers and am curious how these are made??

An example would be;   4" x 6" x 16 foot long beam with a curve depth of about 18" 

I have a photo to share, however, seems impossible to post a photo, very confusing.

Thanks for your help!!!!

I'm with you brother.......I've found this whole website to be a little confusing, but getting much needed help from a girl named Roxie.  she sent me this link on the photo uploading.  you start by making your album, then select a photo and copy and paste the html code into your post, this allows it to be shown in context.  have a look and see how you make out.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

good luck, i'll check back in a day or two
bob

Dave Shepard

You have to start with a curved log. I've cut piles of them.

Curved brace stock:

Curved tie beams:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

Dave Shepard

A lot of the curved ties were cherry. It grows very favorably for organic timber framing.  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

Yes you have some choices.  Start with curved stock as Dave mentioned.  Not as easy to find a 16 foot curved log unless your out in the field or have some good connections looking for you.  I don't have any that long now, but I have 12 footers. 

The other option is a laminated beam made specifically to your specs.  i'm sure there is someone out there doing exactly that, but I've never tried to find that.

Another option might be your own glue up where you maybe glue and pin a piece together from shorter straight pieces or curved pieces and shape it into the curve you want. This would work if it's not structural.

If structural you'd want the solid or laminated beam.
Nice pics Dave, I have a big stack of cherry like you show there- but mostly 6" thick pieces.  I've been getting a lot of cherry big enough to get one 6" thick piece out of, but not big enough to get 8" to split into 2 book matched.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

opticsguy

OP here, seems impossible to load up a photo even following the directions step by step provided above.  Whatever happened to simplicity???
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Don P

It is in your gallery, you loaded it just failed to post it. I posted it for a minute but it is watermarked and someone's design... probably better not.

I wouldn't consider the curved braces load bearing, or not in bending. Any of Brad's suggestions would work.

I see you're in Bellingham, my first log home was in Everson. Cedar from BC, shipped to NC for milling and back to WA. I have no idea what happened to simplicity  :D

kantuckid

Time factors in but I'm sometimes wondering where i can find a straight tree... :D
Maybe saw a straight one then bend in the woods with a couple of winches until it's set to your arc?
Not hard to envision using an old stump as the pivot point and a couple of live trees as the pull points?
Who knows how long it would take to hold the set, that's the real question.
Species matters too as woods like Ash or Oak will bend easier than a brash species.
I build Appalachian style rocking chairs with "steam bent" back slats-I saw out the curved rockers. Actually I boil my small chair parts on shop wood stove.
I've never seen a steamed timber your size but maybe boatbuilders do that? like in a big piece of pipe?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Heartwood

Ed Levin describes steam bending 6x6 timbers in "Curved Timbers" in Fine Homebuilding Aug/Sept 1988. I believe you can buy/download individual articles if need be, or subscribe to get all the digital back issues. And boatbuilders are a good resource. From the article:
"Taking   the   plunge,   we   ordered   straight-grained   6x6   oak   timbers   and   got   in   touch with  Ed  McClave,  a  boatbuilder  and  repairer from  Noank,  Conn.,  who,  more  than  anyone, has  turned  steambending  into  a  science."
It's not easy or for the faint of heart...

Jeff

Quote from: opticsguy on December 31, 2017, 08:48:49 PM
OP here, seems impossible to load up a photo even following the directions step by step provided above.  Whatever happened to simplicity???

It's time to quit griping about our system. It's been used successfully over a quarter million times.  Also, read the rules about uploading someone elses copright photos.

If you need help, it's easily obtained, just quit complaining.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

Quote from: Don P on January 01, 2018, 12:51:17 AM
I have no idea what happened to simplicity  :D

She came for a visit here, and decided to stay among the Plain Sect, and therefore is not permitted photos or a computer.   ::)
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!