iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Secondary elbow blocked again....why?

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, February 12, 2014, 02:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

This is puzzling to me. Early this season I had issues with my boiler and you guys told me about cleaning the elbows which I had never done; you were right, the secondary one was packed! A couple of days ago, I woke up to the house being cold...boiler was out but not burned out. A quick check told me it wasn't getting air. I pulled the secondary elbow and it was packed again! WTH? I ran this boiler for 2-3 years before I ever cleaned it once and now I am cleaning it 3 months after the first time? How does the creosote get in there to begin with?

JJ

Could it be that the goo has build up in the air channel, enough now to slop over to get into elbow?
I find with my e2300 some of the water I load (from ice/snow on ends of logs) ends up in this air channel.

JJ

bobby s

Any change in the moisture content of your wood?

Roger2561

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on February 12, 2014, 02:25:25 PM
This is puzzling to me. Early this season I had issues with my boiler and you guys told me about cleaning the elbows which I had never done; you were right, the secondary one was packed! A couple of days ago, I woke up to the house being cold...boiler was out but not burned out. A quick check told me it wasn't getting air. I pulled the secondary elbow and it was packed again! WTH? I ran this boiler for 2-3 years before I ever cleaned it once and now I am cleaning it 3 months after the first time? How does the creosote get in there to begin with?

DeerMeadowFarm - I don't know if this is any consolation but I have to clean mine every month (E-classic 1400).  When I do, it's nearly half full of creosote.  Thankfully it's only a 5 minute job.  It has become a way of life for me.  Has your wood species changed?  Perhaps a little more moisture in the wood?  If I knew how the creosote got in there, I'd do everything in my power to stop it.  Until then, I'll have to clean it every month.  Roger   
Roger

Ohiowood

This is what I did,

Take a paper clip and bend it so it is like a hook. Place it under the solenoid top. It let just a tad bit of air in to keep the smoke from backing up in the elbows.  I still check them about ever month or so. If there is any thing it's not much. You may burn a little more wood ? I don't know, have not been able to tell so far. But works for me. 

firechief

DMF
I've used the paper clip trick since my E2300 was new 5 years ago. After reading your post months ago, I went out and checked my elbow for the first time ever. Not a thing, zero, zilch, nada.  Although I did have some of my holes clogged up, but probably with the colder than normal temperatures and the boiler working overtime, they have cleared themselves.  Not sure if this matters but I burn about 6 cord per year at around 90%oak.

DeerMeadowFarm

I guess I'll give the paperclip trick a try. My moisture content (other than a small ammount of snow occasionally) is probably less than I've burned in the past. The stack I am on now and the last one I have left have been split, stacked on pallets, and tarp covered for 2 years. Mostly oak, cherry, and maple....all from the tornado.

Logging logginglogging

I check / clean mine about once a winter on my 2300. I just cleaned mine yesterday and had a little in the top one, and nothing in the bottom one.

Thank You Sponsors!