iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkey Hunting

Started by DonT, May 03, 2010, 11:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

ok i read a lot about turkey hunting and the challenges involved.We have only had open seasons for about 6yrs as the birds were re-introduced to our area about 10-12yrs ago.The first year i hunted i got up at some un-godly hour went out and watched the toms fly out of there tree directly away from me.After watching this two mornings in a row i thought enough of this.Started hunting around 10Am in the morning and turkey hunting got easy.I wander into the hardwoods sit down and call,a bird normally answers i call again and they wander in.Is it just me or is between 10am and12 the time to hunt turkeys.I had a few moments today after i got home from the hospital,entered the bush at 11:30 called Tom answered,we played the back and forth call game and at 11:50 he was 17 paces in front of me.111/2 inch beard and spurs about a pencil width under an inch.So I guess my question is for the more eperienced turkey hunters out there is this the normal thing.

celliott

I dont know about where you're at, but in Vermont we can only hunt till noon.  I have always had the best luck roosting birds the night before, and sitting near there first thing in the morning.  We have quite a bit of hunting pressure here where I hunt though.  How much pressure do the birds get where you hunt? alot of people hunting?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

thecfarm

Turkeys started showing up here about 6 years ago.We're on a dead end road.No one really knows they are here.My step son been hunting them for 3 years now here.The first 2 years we told him where they was and he would set up a blind and call them and get a turkey within the hour easy on the first day..My 10 grandson got one last year the same way.They use to be in the field in front of the house.I heard the shot the first year but did not see the stepson shot it.The second year the grandson was old enough to hunt and I saw him shot that one from the house.Only 5-600 feet away both times.This year we have not been seeing them as much,but can hear them at times.They seem to be behind the house in the back field.Opening day was last Saturday for youths and no luck seeing a tom.They did call a hen in.They was moving the decoys around to another part and a tom caught them in the act,he took off running.They get into the blind by 4:30.He has 3 blinds set up here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DonT

when our season first started about 8yrs ago we could only hunt till noon as well,then it was lengthened that you can hunt till an hour before dark.I have roosted birds but have very little luck getting them to fly down to me or come in,they seem to just fly down and wander off with there hens.I have found waiting till later in the morning,the hens have gone to there nests and the Toms are a lot more co-operative.I read about run and gun style hunting and this is now the aproach i use,walk till you get an answer and then hunt that bird,usually if i can get one to answer mid morning i can usually get him to come in.Hunting pressure in our area is light and i hunt on our own 300 hundred acres that Only i hunt.

Thank You Sponsors!