iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Troy-Built 27 Ton splitter

Started by Logging logginglogging, August 22, 2012, 08:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

I was in the market for a wood splitter untill my father said I could borrow his this year. I forgot just how awsome this this is. He bought this 27-Ton Troy-built splitter like 5 years ago or more, He splits 10 cored every year. I was reading a lot of reviews of the similar priced splitters out there and people have all sorts of problems, but the reviews for this are all good. I decided that when i do get my own splitter, I am getting the exact same thing. Its splits anything I throw at it and its fairly fast. Anyone else have similary splitters that they find really good quality?

thecfarm

I have a 27 ton Cab Cadet, a 6.5 Briggs on it. May be the same kind as yours Dad's. Has the OHV on it. Starts real easy when it's warm. When it's winter time,not so good. I have a magnetic heater I put on it and all is well than. I did make a wider log cradle for one side of it. I split alot of big wood with it. It splits vertical too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Quote from: Logginglogginglogging on August 22, 2012, 08:17:39 AM
   Anyone else have similary splitters that they find really good quality?
I don't know who actually made them but some of the older TSC models are nice machines .4 inch cylinder 8 HP Briggs engines .

However now arises the question of tonnage ratings which are erronious most of the time .For example a 4 inch cylinder at 3,000 PSI produces 18.75 tons ,not 27 they advertise .

Timber Wolf is the only company I know of that publishes actual true to life ratings .For example they rate their 5 inch cylinder models at 22 tons which is accurate according to the laws of physics and hydraulics .

I personally have a home built using a 5 inch cylinder ,16 GPM two stage pump and an 11 HP electric start Briggs .

Al_Smith

Say I just got back from Lowes and coincidently they had a 27 ton rated Troy-Bilt on display .What caught my attention was the trunion mounted cylinder .

I can't say as I've ever seen a splitter built exactly like that .The cast iron splitting wedge I'm not sure about but all things considered this company builds pretty good stuff .

blackfoot griz

I have owned this "27 Ton" Troy Built for 7-8 years.  It has never taken more than 2 pulls to start (as long as there is gas in the tank, but, that is a different story)

I have no idea how many cords this has split because it has become the neighborhood splitter.  I don't use it much anymore since building a firewood processor.  Two years ago, I didn't see it for several months because it went from one place to the next!

This has been a great machine.

pineywoods

I have the exact same splitter, except it says "Yard machines". came from home depot. I use it strictly in the vertical mode. I split a lot of stuff that's too big and heavy to lift. I was a bit skeptical of the cast iron wedge, but not a problem. Good splitter.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Logging logginglogging

and very worst case... u make a new wedge....
Personally I have a parts dozer that I plan to make a splitter out of soon as I have some time
mabye this winter even

Logging logginglogging

BTW.... that is the exact same splitter, I think he got his at agway.
he almost bout one a wallmart but the dummies wanted him to register it b4 it could leave the store lol.... and thats even in the back of the truck not pulling.

Logging logginglogging

How much wood can u guys split an hour with this splitter? I can go right along with it my self, but I am not quite sure just how much I am splitting....

blackfoot griz

Quote from: Logginglogginglogging on August 22, 2012, 12:46:09 PM
BTW.... that is the exact same splitter, I think he got his at agway.
he almost bout one a wallmart but the dummies wanted him to register it b4 it could leave the store lol.... and thats even in the back of the truck not pulling.

^You have to be kidding us! :D

If you are going to build a splitter out of dozer parts,  I would highly recommend  building a 4 or 6 or even 8 way adjustable knife.  It's a big time saver. Sounds like the parts you have should be able to provide plenty of power.

Quote from: Logginglogginglogging on August 22, 2012, 12:57:36 PM
How much wood can u guys split an hour with this splitter? I can go right along with it my self, but I am not quite sure just how much I am splitting....

The last guy that borrowed my splitter picked it up Friday evening, brought it back Sunday evening and he said he split 6 cords.

Al_Smith

Yeah my splitter goes on road trips every so often .My little buddy who owns a tree service might borrow it for several weeks at a time so he can run two splitters .When work starts to slow down in late fall he puts the crew in the wood pile and the  firewood just flies using two splitters .

I myself at this time have 16 cords split  and stacked and I only burn about 4 in the average winter .Geeze I swung an axe all my life until I finally got around to building a splitter and it sure is nice .Dumb thing being I must have built 4 or 5 for other people and not one for myself .How stupid is that . :D

sprintfan11

I have the exact Troy Built 27 ton splitter and it has been as reliable and dependable as any equipment I've ever owned. I split about 10 cords a year to burn our wood stove year round.
Use up, wear out, make do or do without.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20"
1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Troy-Built 27 ton splitter
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

blackfoot griz

As an afterthought to this...the next time somebody asks to borrow my splitter...I'm going to hand them my old maul!

Thank You Sponsors!