iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Would you let someone borrow your mill? I did.

Started by hackberry jake, October 03, 2011, 06:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 03, 2011, 06:33:02 PM
Would you guys do the same in my position?

No. Wouldn't borrow the truck, either.

Mind you, I'm in business. My insurance is void if I let anyone other than an employee operate it.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

redbeard

Have you folks ever had one of those friends that the only time you ever hear from him or her is when they want to barrow something. I quit loaning tools awhile back. I lost a chop saw, forgot who barrowed it and whoever barrowed it forgot where they barrowed it. >:(
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

SwampDonkey

Over the years my father loaned stuff to other family members and it never returned in the condition it was loaned. Every time father wanted to barrow something, it was being used. My father endured a lot of crap from his brother.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kelLOGg

Im with Woodwalker and ianab. Wouldn't loan it but would do a job gratis as a return favor.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ianab

I'd loan a close friend my car, because it's fully insured and they know how to operate it, heck they even have an official govt licence to operate it. If they did wreck it, insurance co problem. ( I trust them enough not to drive drunk and void my insurance)

But my sawmill, they don't have a licence to drive that  :D

Injury liability isn't an issue here as accident insurance is universal and compulsory. If it's a workplace, then you fall under OSH rules and can be in all sorts of cactus if someone gets hurt. If it's a "hobby" non commercial setting, then it's just an accident, same as crashing off a trail bike or skateboard.

But I stick with, if you are a good friend, and need some logs milled as a favour, lets arrange a day and WE will mill them.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bandmiller2

If someone is that good a friend I go with the mill and/or chainsaw and help them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

metalspinner

If he doesn't have any experience running a sawmill, how successful will he be cutting those 20 footers?  

I've  been watching sawyers run mills and been tailing for 8 years. That doesn't mean I know which stick to jiggle to move the log or how high to keep the blade from running into the backstop. ;)  The success of his project demands experience.  If you want to train him while completing this job for him, that would give him a better chance for success later.

Him buying an extension for the mill sounds like the beginnings of a partnership - for better or worse.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

tcsmpsi

Two people come to mind that I would loan my mill to.  They are both able and conscientious enough to replace the mill, if necessary...without hesitation or remorse.  However, both are no longer able to come close to that demand of physical output.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Banjo picker

Quote from: redbeard on October 04, 2011, 12:49:30 AM
I lost a chop saw, forgot who barrowed it and whoever barrowed it forgot where they barrowed it. >:(

Redbeard you are probably only half right on that....who ever got your saw knows Dang well where it came from....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

hershey

my mill is just a tool, i would love to get a younger generation interested in running it, i have borrowed all kinds of stuff in a tough spot over the years and it seems i can never find my own hat wagons during hay season, or they are still loaded at so in so's farm, but it always works out.  i've mowed other guys hay when they broke down, and i have had others do the same for me.   the only thing different about the mill is there is some training that needs to take place first. there are not to many ambitious people out there anymore willing to run it anymore.

Magicman

My Son is the only person that has run my sawmill since I bought it.  Period, end of story.  I would have gladly sawed the logs for him.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

barter shhhh many IRS rules

helping friends not so many

:P ??? :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

logboy

I will saw for friends, but let them borrow it? My Lucas can cut your feet off pretty easy. No way.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

captain_crunch

Guess I am lucky most  of my friends are great opperators as well as great friends things come back better  than when they  left
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

paul case

i just dont loan stuff anymore.
i once had to buy some of my tools back at a neighbors auction forced by divorce court. i am happy to help someone out but i very seldom borrow anything anymore. i have had to borrow some tools from my dad since someone 5 finger discounted mine but he and i work together all the time and he needs my help about as much as i need some tools i dont have. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

papow22

4-GET IT,A friend borrowed a hammer 4 work ,promised to return it  in 1 week well 7 weeks later KEY-ASK-KIN (meaning in cree = LIARER) never return the hammer.So when a person claims to be a friend,Well I'd Ask him does the sun rise in the west,Well when it does then ask me 4 the time of the day  :D  8)
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Thank You Sponsors!