Started by steve phillips, November 28, 2012, 08:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve phillips

ok im looking at the ms660 , i figure its a 066 in the real world
what was the saw before it was a ms660
                                                              thanks steve
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

Cut4fun

066 MS660 soon to be MS661   Also a MS650 out there, smaller bore and older 064 before 066.

ladylake

I wouldn't count on a dealer to get it tuned right, I've got several in here just tuned by a dealer.  Some were pig rich and other burn up lean. Learn how to tune yourself and how a well tuned saw should run.  Knowing how to tune a saw will save you from burning it up when the carb gets clogged a bit, bad fuel lines etc.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

I'm not certain there is much difference between the 066 and MS 660 except the newer because of muffler issues isn't nearly as powerfull .

From what I gather there were several differences in the 066 model ,ignitions etc .Good saws with a lot of power though .Actually they have became sort of an icon much like the Stromberg model 97 carb which just about every modern carb is compaired to .

They've definatley left their mark and I would guess in their size class most likely the most popular in terms of numbers used .

billm67

Uhg....I hat Cat's in chainsaw mufflers.  Get them out.  Find a 066 and be done with it.  The best Stihl saw all started with a zero.   
Echo CS-400
2003 Dodge Ram 2500

Al_Smith

I'm not certain they installed catalytic converters in that model .They did however greatly reduce the size of the exhaust outlet which greatly reduced the performance .

If they have changed the basic porting scheme or not that I can't answer .I've ran them ,never had the occassion or rather opportunity  to rework one ---yet  ;)

Ed

I've never seen a cat muffler on a 660. Just the smaller outlet as Al said.

Either mod the muffler or buy the old dual port one, its still available.

Ed

JohnG28

I'm pretty sure there's no cat in the 660 muffler. You can get an OEM dual port cover for the muffler to boost power, or mod it yourself. My uncle has one that I've borrowed a few times. Its a nice saw, but I'd have put the DP on if it was mine. I'm liking my 460 mag with DP, not too heavy and good power. Might be one to look at too.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

Oh much hype and hoopla of a modified muffler like it's rocket science or something .Geeze they try to fetch 100 bucks for one on flea bay like it takes a mechanical engineer to design one and people are niave enough to believe it .

You can completely cut the cage and baffles clear out of one ,cut in the second outlet and have it back on the saw in about a half hour 45 minutes if you take a coffee break in between time .

If you want to weld in cute little shrouds and megaphones much akin to a mouses trumpet that takes little longer .They won't run any faster with all that extra hardware but it looks impressive to some of which I'm not one of .

beenthere

:D :D
You can relax now Al.  It will be ok.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

:D Oh I'm as mellow as an old shoe the dog has chewed on .Kind of fun to rattle a few cages now and again  ya know . ;)

steve phillips

ok i bought the 660 and of coarse had to try it , yea just what i wanted lol

Al_Smith

It should suit you well and with proper care last a long long time .

This model generally speaking is about the largest saw seen in these parts and well suited for a 36" bar .Although there are larger saws in the area they are seldom used which might account for the reason why they last so long .

s grinder

On my second year with mine,use it for cutting down stumps,tough on a saw,the only thing i did is up grade the oiler,think they took care of that issue,it's a torque monster,good luck

steve phillips

hmmm upgraded oil pump ???
were could find this info    thanks

JohnG28

Dealer should be able to get you the part. If you can't get it let me know, I have the IPL for it at home somewhere and can look it up for you.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

I think the high volume oiler is primarily a west coast option because of the longer bars although you can order one .

joe_indi

Quote from: steve phillips on November 30, 2012, 09:32:15 PM
hmmm upgraded oil pump ???
were could find this info    thanks

Oil Pump 0.9mm stroke (# 1122 640 3205) is the standard unit

Oil Pump 1.15mm Stroke part no.1122 640 3201 is the oiler with higher discharge.I dont think its just for longer bars. It is shown as a part for Australia. Do they use longer bars only over there?Maybe trees have something else that need the extra oil, maybe.

BTW, you dont have to change the whole pump to get that extra oil.
Alternatively you could just change just the oiler piston (# 1122 647 0602) and control bolt (adjuster screw #1128 647 4802)

Joe

Ianab

QuoteIt is shown as a part for Australia. Do they use longer bars only over there?Maybe trees have something else that need the extra oil, maybe.

Australia and NZ probably do have more big trees, more like Pacific Nth West. Some of the Aussie ones are also VERY hard and dense.

So anyone buying a 660 in this part of the world is probably going to fit it with a long bar, and work it hard.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

There has been a lot of ideas kicked around about the feasability of modifying Stihl oil pumps .Some have enlarged the discharge hole with at least some increase in flow from what I understand .

Then you are dealing with the actual bar itself .Some just take oil better than others .Fact I have a Stihl mount 32" GB that will lay the oil out better than an actual official Stihl branded bar in 24" .

I have slightly enlarged the bar oiling holes on Oregon bars which has increased the amount of oil they put to the bar .

Thank You Sponsors!