iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbco 445

Started by TimberJoe, January 12, 2019, 10:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimberJoe

I'm looking at purchasing a 1997 timbco 445d with a saw head on it. I am just wanting your opinion on this machine. Thanks.

DPatton

Sorry I don't know anything about the machine but your question may get better responses if you post it in the Forestry and Logging topics. Good luck on finding the right piece of equipment.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

nativewolf

@TimberJoe agree with Don, move thread to forestry and logging section or just start a new thread there.  Also, let people know where you are by updating profile.
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Theres a hotsaw timbco buncher in TN for $50k .. I think i saw it on LSN.com and iirc it had 8 or 9 k hours.  Maybe wrong on that part. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

@BargeMonkey has a Timbco, I think he has a bar saw on his IIRC 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TimberJoe

Thanks, just looking to hear the good and the bad of the machine. 

BargeMonkey

Got anymore pictures because something ISNT RIGHT.... 👎 1997 isnt a D, and look at the final drives.  Right by the door is a # stamped on the steel plate. The upper maybe a D, I dont think the bottom is. What's it got for a head ? 

Southside

Barge - you are right - what final drives??  :o
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Southside logger on January 12, 2019, 10:34:40 PM
Barge - you are right - what final drives??  :o
That's an A model scabbed into a D upper... Not saying its "bad" but those finals where known to be weak. When I blew a final I got a HUGE education from a guy in OH on Timbco parts, guy lives and breathes Timbco. That machine should have GFT 80 final drives.... 

TimberJoe

I guess I actually don't know they year.

mike_belben

I think i see a 6CTA with a bosch p3000 pump and rsv governor.  That part of the equation should be pretty reliable.
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on January 13, 2019, 01:07:36 AM
I think i see a 6CTA with a bosch p3000 pump and rsv governor.  That part of the equation should be pretty reliable.
The better of the engine choices for them is the Deere because of the being on slopes Cummins loose oiling.

Skeans1

What size of timber are you planning on being in? Have you priced out moving a 445? Just by looking at the one you've posted, the old girl lookings like she's not too far from need an undercarriage. How's the Rotex bearing? Tilt cylinders? Head looks like she's seen her fair share of plating as well as welding. 

mike_belben

Is it missing the middle finger?  I think thats just for accumulating pulp?  Maybe undesirable in larger single stems.. I dunno. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

It's an accumulator they work in bigger wood as well Mike. One thing that can take a person a while to learn to do with the older Timbco bar saw heads is to remember to retract the bar since it's manually controlled vs the newer heads with a proximity sensor in the saw bar for auto retract.

TimberJoe

I will be using it in timber ranging from 6 inches up to as big as it can take. I've got a few sales going. Let's say I buy this machine for 5k at auction. Do you think I could get a season out of the undercarriage. My seasons are short, july to December, and I'm a one man opperation. I have a 450c timberjack skidder with grapple and winch. I have been cutting with my skidsteer, but it's a pretty rough ride going over logs. I appreciate all the information.

Southside

Without looking it over there is no way to know how long it would last. Might get a couple seasons, might not get off the lowboy before a final gave out. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

TimberJoe

So you think the finals will be the biggest issue off the get go? I couldn't find any information on these type of drives? Any idea how much 2 new assembly would cost? I can put them in.

Skeans1

Without looking it over and feeling stuff out it's kind of anyone's guess or hope. Do you know where the machine is? How many axles you're going to need to move it? Take a 415 out here I need a standard truck with a minimum of a two axle lowboy, a 425 I need a three axle possibly a drop on the truck as well.

Southside

The finals were just an example, it could be a pump that goes.  The problem with older iron like that is not always what the cost of the replacement part it - it's actually finding the part.  If it was a common failure point then many times all the decent used ones are long gone.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

snowstorm

i dont recall the whole story it was a valmet timco the dealer did the repair. at least 1 final drive complete undercarrige and a few other things. final bill was 65k

TimberJoe

It's about 250 miles north of me. I am only needing one season out of it to be worth it to me. I would think it needs a tripple axle low boy. Should weight around 60k.

Corley5

Judging by the amount of dirt built up on the floor I'd say the operator was in and out of the cab a lot fixing issues ;) :) :)  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowstorm

is this out west? any pictures of the bushings on the track chain? pads dont look that bad. is this a repo? i have bough some repo stuff and it turned pretty good and sometimes not so good

TimberJoe

They don't have pictures of the bushings or track chain. Yes it's in the northwest. I'm considering buying it, I think worst case I can use the motor in a log truck I have with a bad motor.

Thank You Sponsors!