iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barns Restorations in Iowa

Started by Brian_Weekley, March 21, 2015, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

Just an interesting short video on barn restorations in Iowa.  Hard to believe that barns in Iowa are disappearing at a rate of 1000 per year.  Having bicycled across Iowa a few years ago, it's a beautiful state.  Very sad to see this happening here and across the country.  Save your barns!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41fTIZJPqug&feature=youtube_gdata_player
e aho laula

beenthere

When IA farms changed from dairy/beef/pigs/chickens around the mid sixty's and moved to mostly grain, there was no need for a barn. New construction turned out to be large sheds to hold machinery, or hog/turkey/chicken factories where they didn't see the light of day.

No need to have the added expense of keeping a roof on the barn and when the rain leaks in, the structure goes in a hurry. So not hard for me to believe, as Iowans want to keep it looking beautiful.

I contend that if people want to see the old barns saved, they should dig in their pockets and donate a new roof so the rain cannot leak through. That is a huge expense.

But no, they just want to get a grant from our taxpayers (who get fewer every year too) like a grant is just free money falling from the sky.  Save a barn or two, not everyone seen in disrepair.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!