iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere winch - need help

Started by OneWithWood, March 27, 2004, 04:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

The brake is not holding on the winch on my crawler.  The tech manual I have shows a winch that is different from mine.  I think I have a newer model winch on the old crawler.  The JD dealer gave me a copy of the brake adjusting procedure for another winch but it isn't the same either.  The winch I have has a SN E3305 015822T - the 3 after the E may by a 6 or an 8 it is hard to tell due to wear.  The casting numbers on the top of the winch are T29776 and T31633.  The casting numbers on the left quill are T198801T and T19800T.
The info in the tech manual and the info the dealer gave me both indicate the brake adustment is behind the left quill which is dry.  On my winch the left quill has a removable cover in the center with an allen screw adjuster.  The cover is actually an oilway for hydraulic fluid going into the end of the drum shaft.  I guess the allen screw adjusts the flow or pressure.
If anyone recognizes this type of a winch and can point me to where I might find some info on adjusting the brake I would appreciate it.  I tried the JD sight and google searches but so far I have come up empty.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

OWW,  go to  www.ytmag.com  and find their forum on Crawlers, loaders and dozers, or something like that. If there is anybody around that knows, that's probably where they are. :)  The site map is easy to follow, just look for "discussion forums" and you will find that board.  
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ElectricAl

OneWithWood,

John Deere in Dubuque Iowa. is were some of the crawlers are built.

Dick White is a Service Manual Writer. He may not have the exact spec's you need at his finger tips, but he should be able to get them or steer you to the right tech  ;D

Dick White 563-589-5790  Deere Dubuque Works ;)

Let us know how it gos

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

isawlogs

My 540 deer skider had the same problem a few weeks ago it has a simalor winch , it would bring the load in but would not hold it up ... I took the left side (driver side) cover off and one of the piston that are pushed onto the disk was ,for some reason, sideways on the disk was able to pry it back into it's place and the winch works fine ... ???(we did adjust the winch before puting it back togetther)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

OneWithWood

I checked out the ytmag site as Dan suggested.  I got a couple of useful replies - thanks Dan.
Al, I could not get through to Dick White.  I kept getting people who thought they knew where he was and what his number was but they were mistaken.  The central receptionist said she could not find him in her listing and transferred me to a Sandy Kaesbauer who was out of the office ???  I gave up.  I do appreciate your reply.
isaw, my piston was alligned properly but the length of the springs was 1/8 inch longer than the specs for a couple of similar JD winches so I adjsuted it down to 4 - 11/16 inches in total length.  Does that sound about right?  I am draining the oil while the gasket compound sets up.  I will let you all know if the adjustment and oil change helped.  I did notice that the inside of the left quill was full of moisture and oily.  I cleaned it out the best I could, blew it dry and placed a dessicant pack in the sump to help dry it up.  The drain plug can only be accessed be dropping the counter weight so I doubt it was ever drained.
One With Wood

isawlogs

OWW
  My skidder has a oil filter on the line , does yours have one ?... I adjusted mine a little under 5 inches more like 4 3/4 so I guess it should be allright ....I also drained the oil but I have acess to the plug , it was pink , I use atf in it , it works better in the cold....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ElectricAl

OneWithbrokenWinch,

Sorry for the lame phone # . It's one I had by the computer.

I keep all the important # in the sawshop ;)

Here you are if you want to try again.

Dick White 563-589-5793

I'm not sure if this is a department # or direct line, but Dick has always answered. ;D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tagerts_crossing

OWW,   If you need parts Their is a crawler scrap yard on 42 between Cloverdale and Brazil.  Prob. 45min to hour from Bloomington.  I have bought parts their and they are good to deal with.   John
John Schoolcraft

OneWithWood

Thank-you, John.  I will check them out.  I would like to upgrade the track chains.
One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!