iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gonna need some help

Started by Raym, December 09, 2013, 06:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

Well, my new mill is on order. (I've seen a lot of these threads lately). Gonna be a lot of questions. First one is that I have started collecting some logs for flooring and have a large white oak (26") which seems to have a slight curve to it. what can I expect in terms of stress?
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

thecfarm

Raym,welcome to the forum. What kind of mill you buying? How are you getting the logs to the mill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Not much, should be fine, most logs have a slight curve, I guess it boils down to your definition of slight,
saw it and learn from it,  you will have plenty of opportunities to try and figure out all the stresses logs have.
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

I would be less concerned with a curve AKA as sweep and more concerned with the placement of the pith. If it is off center then there will be more stress than normal. Most all logs have some stress it is how you deal with it that matters. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Raym....first of all, get you a WHACK of practice logs to learn on. Mill behavior, blade behavior, log behavior......you're gonna need some practice before sawing flooring right out of the chute.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GAB

Raym:
There is a fellow a few miles from me that has a 5 head machine and does a lot of flooring.  He likes to see the lumber for flooring sawed 1-1/16" or 1-1/8" thick.   I would suggest you have a conversation with whoever you plan on using to finish your lumber to flooring prior to sawing it.  Again just a suggestion.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

For sure, saw it 1 1/8" thick. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Raym.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum Raym! Good luck with your new mill.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ray!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raym

Thanks all....The mill im am waiting on is a WM40super. One good thing for sure is that I heat with an outside wood stove so any practice logs gone bad still have a place to go.

Some one asked how will I get my logs to the mill. Well, most of the logs will be salvaged from tree guys or from lots cleared for construction. They will be delivered by the load. and while trying to decide how to modify an old boat trailer to a fetching arch I came across an old trailer set up to transport underground propane tanks. Even has hydraulics that still work. Will work perfectly so I took this as a sign that this a good venture to pursue.
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

manoverboard

Fine choice on the mill and congratulations! I believe there is some fine advice flowing your way. As a new mill owner myself, I have to slow down and learn the intricacies of my mill and learn. What I'm trying to say is take your time... this is easier said than done. Enjoy your mill! Ryan!!
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

Nomad

Welcome Raym.  And congrats on the mill! 8)  When you start sawing you're going to make lots of mistakes.  (Some of us never stop. :D)  Don't get in a hurry and pay attention to every decision you make.  First face to open, depth of cut, when you turn the log, etc.  Band tension, quality of cut, sharpness of band and so on.  Remember what you did!  Write it down if you have to.  Then your mistakes turn into lessons instead of "Aw, $#%^s."
     And if possible get together with another sawyer for a few hours or a day and work with him, or at least watch him work and pick his brain. 
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

chickenchaser

Welcome, Raym.

Very good advice from nomad.

Quote from: nomad on December 10, 2013, 06:07:53 AM
       When you start sawing you're going to make lots of mistakes.  (Some of us never stop. :D)  Don't get in a hurry and pay attention to every decision you make.

The one that sticks out in my mind is not the log stop I hit or the band I knocked off while returning the sawhead too low...

It was making three nice wedges out of a log because I forgot to lower the front toeboard roller after the first slab. I still occasionally forget - but the yield is down to one wedge per log.  :D

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

mesquite buckeye

Welcome and have some fun with that mill. ;D The inside of every log is an adventure. 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!