iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new irish guy looking for advice

Started by seamielog, August 17, 2012, 07:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seamielog

hey guys another new guy here im thinking of emigrating from Ireland.i was looking at Canada or New Zealand as options.Can anyone from either country tell me what the job market is like for processor operators/heavy machinery ?would a company sponsor an Irish worker for a visa or have ye got enough native workers ? any help would be great thanks
Need change of scenery, new country i think

Woodwalker

Can't answer your questions, but welcome to the forum and top of the morning to you.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

seamielog

Magicman

All that I can offer you is a smile  :) and a hearty welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

In New Zealand you could probably find work easy enough as a machinery operator. Issue will be getting immigration approval. If you are a Dr or Engineer, you to go the front of the queue. If you have a million$ that you are going to invest in a business, front of the queue. Normal working types? Not so easy.

You should make enquiries with NZ embassy over there and they will be able to tell you what the current criteria are and what your chances are.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bushmechanic

Hello seamielog I'm from the east coast of Canada,Newfoundland to be exact.Round here the forestry market is in the tank right now,we went from three paper mills to one and that one is only barely above water.We only have a few larger lumber mills left also.Most of the contractors now are owner operators and are cutting logs and firewood.There seems to be still a demand for process operators as most of the older workers are in the oil patch.Sorry I can't help with the emmigrating or visa info,but good luck. :)

seamielog

thanks  a mill for that lads New Zealand sounds a bit more promising i checked NZ immigration website and forest machinery operators are on a list of "in demand" people.the tricky part is getting a job offer from the other side of world. any ideas on where to start with that Ian ?

Ianab

Might be worth keeping an eye on the jobs section on this site
http://www.trademe.co.nz/

I see there is a forestry job in the Bay of Plenty area running a Waratah harvester.

"Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit." That would suggest they are open to hiring someone from overseas as long as they can get the paperwork.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

seamielog

thanks for that Ian. Ive seen alot of jobs on trademe but they dont give email addresses. Ive checked NZ yellow pages and finda biz and there are very few email addresses available.is there any way to get logging contractors email adds. or are they same as Irish still rely on phone ? sorry for bustin your balls about this Ian

Okrafarmer

Morning to you, Seamielog! Welcome to the forum. Forestry is down all over, but picking up a little. You don't want to come to the States? Even if you didn't get your preferred work, you'd get something good here. A big smile and an Irish accent will get you hired some places.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ianab

Probably best to get on the phone. Publishing email addresses just seems to attract spam and scammers. A lot of the smaller contractors wont have office staff or a proper web site.

Forestry here in NZ isn't really "down", well maybe the market prices are a bit lower due to global issues. But the pine trees are grown on a very short rotation, and they pretty much need harvesting on schedule like any other crop.

Ian

Okrafarmer

To clarify, Ian, I did mean the prices. But they appear to have bottomed out and may rise again, just depends on what happens. The trees do have to get harvested before they rot-- unless it is less of a loss to write them off. . . . . .

Many of our hardwoods here can be left to grow and they'll just get bigger. They'll be harder to process for being so big, and there can be some loss to old age, etc, but it's easy enough to let them slide a few years if need be.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum You should be able to find a sponsor in any country if you know your stuff Mate  ;)  ;D ;D My Mum is from Belfast her whole family migrated here in 69 and My great grandfather came From Kilkenny about 1908 ;D ;D 8) Jim stop dangling that bloody carrot in front of Me cause you know Ill just have to bite Mate  dangle_smiley ;) :D :D :D ;D 8)

I will also add we have alot of Kiwi's here working because the pays better but to the same token the cost of living in Australia is higher than it is over there and its a 3hr plane flight between the two and their logs are Bigger n Cheaper Hmmm  This thinkin games dangerous  ;) :D :D ;D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

seamielog

Thanks for all your help Ian if i make it down to NZ the beers are on me.hey Chris i hear OZ is like Ireland on tour at the moment n the young ones are getting a very bad rep id prefer to keep away from that.Its impossible to get a visa for the US from what i hear so i didnt even consider it. NZ sounds like the place for me if theyll have me.Great forum by the way thanks lads

Okrafarmer

Quote from: seamielog on August 19, 2012, 10:31:33 AM
Thanks for all your help Ian if i make it down to NZ the beers are on me.hey Chris i hear OZ is like Ireland on tour at the moment n the young ones are getting a very bad rep id prefer to keep away from that.Its impossible to get a visa for the US from what i hear so i didnt even consider it. NZ sounds like the place for me if theyll have me.Great forum by the way thanks lads

Well, I probably shouldn't say this, but that hasn't stopped quite a few people.  >:(  :-[ Uh, well, we'll leave the politics out of this discussion. . . . . . Hey, try every angle--- I mean, every legal angle, friend! Maybe you need to think outside the box a bit. The Irish built large chunks of this country, both in wood and stone, and culture.

seamielog

Thanks okrafarmer i will try my best as always cant do better than that.

barbender

I'll be more blunt than Okra, get a vacation to Mexico and skip out and sneak across the border :) It will really confuse immigration if they catch you though :D
Too many irons in the fire

losttheplot

Canada has a points system.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp

I was a commercial fisherman when I was looking into it.
About as low scoring job as you can get.

I married a Canadian (almost 20yrs ago) and skipped the points system.  ;)

Australia has a 1 year work permit system.  You had to be under 25 to apply, when I got mine in 1992.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

seamielog

hey barbender, 10 or 15 years ago i might have done it but two many miles on the clock now to be lookin over my shoulder.    I suppose marrige has its upsides I didnt see too many !!! ha ha

Mark Wentzell

Leigh Family Farm

Two cents on visas into the US....

They are not difficult to get but they cost money ($1000 or more) and take a while (year or more). For your situation, an H1B1 visa (3 year work visa) is not out of the question. Also, if the company that can hire you is willing to do it, you can then get a green card after that. It's a lot of red tape and loopholes to go through but it can be done.

If you have any questions about the US side of things, PM me and we can chat.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

seamielog

thanks lads,kilgrosh ill check it out I might be in touch thanks a mill

Okrafarmer

Quote from: seamielog on August 22, 2012, 03:35:58 PM
thanks lads,kilgrosh ill check it out I might be in touch thanks a mill

;D On this forum, "Thanks a mill" has extra meaning!  :D

Leigh Family Farm

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

seamielog

nice one okra, you need a sense of humour for this job !!!

Thank You Sponsors!