iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flied Lice

Started by WV Sawmiller, September 16, 2018, 01:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Figured it was time for a batch of good fried rice so my wife cooked up a couple cups of white rice and set it to drain in a colander. We always cook our rice in excess water then drain off the excess instead of trying to steam or get the exact rice to water mix. I got out my Great Wok Of China, (from the old TV ads - I bought 2 and took one to Africa with me and left one here and love both of them), broke and stirred 2 eggs in a coffee cup, added a dash of corn oil to grease the bottom of the wok, heated over high flame, added the eggs and made a quick thin omelet. I set it aside then added a little diced up onion and a cup or so of mixed frozen veggies (Peas and carrots would have been better but any mix is okay), heated them quickly till a little tender while I diced up the omelet and some left over rotisserie chicken, then halved a few dozen maraschino cherries. I peeled, sliced and tossed a nearly over ripe plantain in the microwave and nukked it on high for 5 minutes. I removed the veggies from the wok and greased the bottom well with more corn oil, added the rice and heated it through. Added more salt and plenty of black pepper then 2-3 jiggers of soy sauce, added the chicken, egg and cherries and heated till all was hot. Got a can of chilled pineapple slices out of the fridge and we were ready to eat.

I love my wok. Great for quick meals when I was a geographical bachelor overseas or for use here at home.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I love my wok, too.  And the flied lice. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Yeah it is a great use for a handful of leftover meat or chicken. We make a lot with pork roast, I have made it with ham but more often we use chicken. I remember I used to buy a half pound or so of raw shrimp and use them on rod and reel for catfish bait. I'd just take out one shrimp at one time and if the fish were biting I'd use it all up. If they did not I'd take what was left, still frozen or slightly thawed, and make fried rice out of it. My Grandpa used to boil his shrimp then use them for bait. If the fish weren't biting he'd eat up all his bait and go home. he said catfish bit cooked shrimp just as well as raw ones.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 16, 2018, 07:52:37 PM
 If the fish weren't biting he'd eat up all his bait and go home. he said catfish bit cooked shrimp just as well as raw ones
I am sure that was his story and he was sticking to it! ;D

WV Sawmiller

Sam,

Are you somehow insinuating my beloved grandfather would buy some rather pricey shrimp that Grandma would not normally let him buy then use the excuse he was going to go catch her a mess of fish, which he knew she liked, then just go sit on the banks of the river for a couple hours munching on his bait rather than seriously trying to catch fish? ;D Shame on you for even suggesting he would ever think of such an insidious plan. ;)
Howard Green

Chuck White

That dish sure looks good!

I haven't had a good dish of "flied lice" since way back when I was stationed in Thailand (1969-1970).

The Oriental restaurants here don't make it nearly as well!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 16, 2018, 08:35:39 PM
Sam,

Are you somehow insinuating my beloved grandfather would buy some rather pricey shrimp that Grandma would not normally let him buy then use the excuse he was going to go catch her a mess of fish, which he knew she liked, then just go sit on the banks of the river for a couple hours munching on his bait rather than seriously trying to catch fish? ;D Shame on you for even suggesting he would ever think of such an insidious plan. ;)

Not at all!

I am sure he caught her a message of fish first! ;D

mike_belben

I was stationed in hawaii, just started sharing an apartment with another jarhead.  Was dating an island girl and she told me how to make fried rice.  Oh yeah just put some oil in the pan, fry an egg and chaff it up, dump in your rice and veggies etc.

Me and dave crunching on rock hard, oil dripping raw rice like a pair of idiots must have been a sight.   Marines arent typically known for their scholarly intellect or fussy palate.  Yes, i know to boil it first now.
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

My wife use to fry the rice then add water to it and was okay. She learned that while we were at Parris Island I think. I know she stopped a little oriental looking lady in the commissary and asked her how to make egg rolls while I was going to school at Camp LeJeune (Camp Johnson actually). The lady looked surprised but told her how. I have seen cooking shows where for Thai rice they'd crack and egg into the rice and cook it during the browning process. I prefer to cook mine first so I know it is well done.

If you look at any Oriental restaurant though you will see them fry already cooked rice. Ours is often too wet and makes it harder to brown. Light, dry, fluffy, cold rice is best.

Mine was good for breakfast this morning too. ;) We like pineapple on the side as adds a nice touch too. Try it some time.
Howard Green

mike_belben

Ill have to wait for the neighbor to give me a case of pineapples.  He drives a refer trailer delivering school lunches, and he hauls back the unused or expired.  When it rains it pours.  Hey mike you want 16 gallons of milk?  A wheelbarrow of apples, 40 crates of shredded lettuce? 

Ive got apple butter coming out my ears this week, but it sure is a blessing with my two little pigs always digging through the fridge. 

In hawaii it was boiled rice tonight, fried rice tomorrow. Always cook 2x what you need. 
Praise The Lord

Chuck White

I've often wondered how it got brown!

Good to know, thanks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mike_belben

Thats the salty wonder of soy sauce on white rice. Want it browner.. More soy sauce. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!