iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blue metal spot in oak

Started by woodmills1, July 21, 2014, 08:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

picked up some oak yesterday and saw 2 pieces from the same tree with a bright blue spot at the top of the butt log and bottem of the second.  Measured the butt at 9 foot 2 (the tree guy lost his tape).  I trimmed it to 8 6 and the spot was gone.  OK metal in second. Looked hard at log and saw a small bark fissure in what was otherwise an unblemished log.  Picked at it with hammer and chisel and saw black an inch in.  I cut 8 inches off where the fissure was and then split it with the maul.  Sure enough it was and eye bolt.  Can't wait for the check from that load.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

CCC4

Good of you to be observant. Hardware in timber is unbelievably dangerous at a sawmill. In 9 years as a headsawyer on a circle mill, I managed to hit several things. This was in ERC and they don't scar like an oak really, they generally show there is something there but a lot of the times if you are rolling a good pace...you might not catch it in time. My list includes....gate hangers, porcelin inserts, horse shoes (Draft and mule), a limestone rock 6ft up the tree  :), garden hoe, hammerhead, every gauge nail imaginable, spikes, bolts, bullets...

What do ya figure did the most teeth damage?? I'm not talking about shank breakage either....just which out of that list do ya figure ruined the largest percentage of bits with one strike? Porcelin inserts! They explode into puffs of glass and destroy every bit in the set! I was even using SiCr oversize teeth also! Not to mention they were seemingly always nailed in with 60 penny nail! LOL!

BargeMonkey

We hit a horse shoe with our frick circle mill....  8)

We have found it all, bullets, nails, and my favorite are tree spikes for tree stands. Had a soft maple in the processor few years ago, had grown inside the bark and you couldnt tell, had probably 18 large spikes in it. Ruined a good .404, hit them 2x, you cant bring a chain back from that. Alot of times I cut the line trees 6-7ft up with the Timbco, old fence wire is every where around here.

cutter88

I went last summer to fall 8 cedar along a fence line for an oll farmer 3 of the trees had been used as fence post I'm gonna say for 35 or 40 years I have never saw 4' of trunk will more nails, fence staples and screws in it in my life lol
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

woodmills1

I would bet on porcelan insulators though a rock of any kind sounds bad.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

clww

One of the giant oaks we cut down last Thursday was loaded with metal. Old stuff that had been in there at least 50 years. It was near an old home site that had burned down in the early 1960s. I found electrical wires, nails, the head of a shovel, bolts, railroad spikes, etc.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

36 coupe

Blue or purple stain in oak says metal.I use a small metal detector on the planer and a larger one on logs.You wont catch all of the junk but a metal detector helps.My east line runs a mile back and there is barbed wire on every foot of it.Lead and copper jacketed bullets wont do much damage.Ive seen bullets in select pine boards when making window and door trim.

woodmills1

I was at the yard today and both pieces passed their metal detection

Thank You Sponsors!