iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Quote from: Treehack on October 13, 2018, 11:52:51 PM
Up to family property to saw some more parts for timber frame cabin.  First up was 24" x16'6" elm.

Was targeting a couple of 8x8 beams.

Got them plus 6 bonus 16' 4/4 x 16" boards.  A second smaller elm got me a couple of 5x7 floor joists and some girts.

Don't try this at home kids...
This was a ugly 16' oak that has been down awhile, but I like a challenge.  Was trying to get a couple 8x8 sills.

As the great MM always says "horns up for first cut."  Had to raise one end a little extra to hit my line.

Now it was time for the "redneck chain turner." Maybe TK will have pitty on me and hook me up with the real thing. :D :D

Next was the hump.

Made a couple nice ovals including this potential bench top.

Getting closer.

Due to the double sweep, I was not able to get the second 8x8 sill, but got one of them as well as four 5x7 floor joists and some brace stock just before it got too dark to work.

For all my work, treated myself to some backstrap steaks over the fire. Be back at it first thing in the morning.
With all the twists and turns the second log had, I hope your beams and joists stay straight and flat for you.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

I am hoping that the others turn out OK when he got two 8X8's out of one log.  That is taking a chance of getting two bananas or none.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Treehack

Crossroads, it was whitetail.

MM and Lee, time will tell on the twist, hopefully the one already did it's twisting and hopefully I kept enough heart out of the other two to survive.  I will be cutting a few extras before I am finished, just in case.  I can always saw them down later if not needed.  Learning on your own timber is less painful.

TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Darrel

I have some surplus lumber in my yard so I put an ad on Craigslist.  Only got one response from a guy named Rick. He wants 14 6"x6"x16' for a pole barn. Now I need to buy some ponderosas logs. I still have surplus lumber. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Weekend_Sawyer

My buddy Donny and I had a fun weekend sawing White Pine.

I don't mill too much pine and I usually don't use lube but for this I used a spray bottle with some diesel in it and sprayed it on the moving blade just before each cut. worked very well.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Eppdso

So are we allowed to post article links? Read an interesting one this morning from the wall street journal.

Southside

Had a small oak log come in. 13,000 lbs worth....

52" and 1800 BF Doyle..
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Fired up the mill today and annoyed my resident mouse who seems to have found my foam prefilter. I took the air filter off and looked okay in there. Mill started and ran fine. I resawed a 2-5/8" X 8" X 10 redwood board for a guy and a couple of short pieces. Customer was a referral which is always best. He seemed happy and took a few piece of slabwood for kindling. While I was waiting I sawed a scrappy locust top into a 6"X6"X9' and will cut into 2' long crib blocks. Also cut a walnut limb into 3X3 legs stock for benches. About 30 minutes operating hours on the mill for today's work. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

Quote from: Southside logger on October 15, 2018, 03:20:48 PM

52" and 1800 BF Doyle..
I don't see why you waste your time on the little stuff. ;)
HM126

Sawmill Man

Cant believe no one mentioned that startled doe in weekend sawyers last picture so I had to mention it. I see a lot of boards and that is one I would have kept
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Ljohnsaw

I thought it looked more like a meercat!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DPatton

Quote from: Sawmill Man on October 15, 2018, 06:38:33 PM
Cant believe no one mentioned that startled doe in weekend sawyers last picture so I had to mention it. I see a lot of boards and that is one I would have kept
:D :D :D I was thinking it looked like a bug-eyed chihuahua myself. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Ianab

Quote from: Sawmill Man on October 15, 2018, 06:38:33 PM
Too much time spent watching kids movies made me think of King Julien, the Lemur from Madagascar  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Clark

Quote from: Eppdso on October 15, 2018, 07:15:17 PM
https://www.wsj.com/articles/thousands-of-southerners-planted-trees-for-retirement-it-didnt-work-1539095250?mod=e2fb
Unfortunately you need to subscribe to their digital service to read the entire article. It would be interesting to see what an outsider thinks about the industry.
Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SawyerTed

Looks like a Gremlin to me!  Best place for them, suspended animation in a board!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDH

Looks like an aye-aye to me.

Aye-aye - Wikipedia

Southside, you are crazy :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

I saw a ringtail lemur in that board. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SawyerTed

Quote from: Southside logger on October 15, 2018, 03:20:48 PM

52" and 1800 BF Doyle..
So how do you deal with something like that?  An LT 35 would run and hide from that!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

@SawyerTed  it kind of depends on the lumbers final destination.  Right now it looks like it will become a custom floor to be installed in the new house that will be replacing the house the tree fell on and crushed during Hurricane Michael last week.  If that happens then I will break it down into quarters with a chainsaw first.  If for some reason they don't want it back then I may look to have it slabbed, sure would make some monster table slabs.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Eppdso

SawyerTed

:) I figured it would have to be quartered.  I would have to quarter to even move it!  I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Barney67

Looks like a ring tail lemur to me as well. 20 some odd years ago I was coming home from work, turn down the drive, heading past my pear trees and caught something out of the corner of my eye. Back up and what in the world is that? Turns out to be a ring tail lemur, game warden thought it probably escaped from a small zoo 20 miles away. Haven't seen one since.
EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

Magicman

I just figured that Jon found WV Sawmiller's resident mouse that chewed on his foam prefilter.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

I was thinking ring tailed cat. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!