iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Putting a license place on an LT40HD?

Started by OlJarhead, February 25, 2016, 12:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

OK, so in WA State you have to license trailers but I didn't see any good place other than the fenders to do this.  Has anyone else had to put on a plate and if so, where did you place it?  How?

Thanks!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

ncsawyer

This is a picture of my old 1994 LT40.  It had a license plate bracket with a tag light.  You can see it just below the manual toe board. 

I now have a new LT40, but I can't remember if it has the same tag bracket...this has my curiosity up.  I will have to check when I get home.

We don't need a plate here in NC.  That is probably why I have not noticed.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

terrifictimbersllc

Mine is hanging beneath the rearmost fixed rail.  Woodmizer put it there. There is a license plate light above it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 25, 2016, 12:38:48 PM
OK, so in WA State you have to license trailers but I didn't see any good place other than the fenders to do this.  Has anyone else had to put on a plate and if so, where did you place it?  How?

Thanks!
Jeff may soon stop by and tell you that "a sawmill is not a trailer".  Are you sure it is regarded as such by your state, or might it fall into a different category with woodchoppers, log splitters, generators, etc?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

Found it!  Right where you suggested!

Too easy.

And yes in WA State it is required though they don't have 'sawmill' under trailers so wrote it in LOL

terrifictimbersllc

Must be a different mill I thought you got some sawdust on yours.  :) :D

ncsawyer

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 25, 2016, 03:27:56 PM

Found it!  Right where you suggested!

Too easy.

And yes in WA State it is required though they don't have 'sawmill' under trailers so wrote it in LOL

Ah...same as my old one...now I will not have to out and look at my new one!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

KirkD

Thanks!
Mine is mounted in the center of the band wheel cover on the idler wheel side.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

OlJarhead

One log only at WM....lots more to go but there is sawdust on the mill :)

Dan_Shade

In Maryland, I have a "mobile equipment tag" on my woodmizer.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chuck White

Thanks!

Eric, But an LT40 is not a trailer, it is a piece of equipment, kind of like certain farm implements!

Maybe it doesn't need to be plated!

I know all states are different, here in NY a plate is not required!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

Gotta have a plate in BC. Even though it's a sawmill, it's considered a trailer here. The rules vary all over the map.

When I bought my mills, the WM rep sent me to one specific agency because they were the only ones who had figured out how to handle the plates for a sawmill.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

pine

In WA state (where OlJarhead is located) if it is towed behind a vehicle it is a trailer. Yes I know some individuals have strong opinions that they hold saying otherwise but in WA state it is a trailer and must be licensed as such.  Been around and around on this one many, many times.  Each state has their own rules and we have 50 different states. 
Canada has ten provinces and three territories.  Does their national system override the provincial or do they vary as much as we do down here?

Dloiselle

I agree as for NY. It falls under agricultural equipment, same as my hydro seeder, my firewood processors I have had were the same, wood splitter, wood chippers etc. WHere is gets funky here is for example, I was carrying seed, fertilizer or mulch bales on the seeder, then it is a trailer. SMH :) NY alays finds a way to get into your pocket
Kenworth W900 Triaxle Dump
Bobcat E42
Cat 257B3
Harley Rake, Grapples, 4in1, High Dump Bucket, forks, etc
Hyundai Dozer
20 Ton Equipment Trailer
40' Gooseneck
22' 9 Ton Tag Trailer
American 24HH Splitter
Husky, Stihl
Now to figure out what mill to get

sawguy21

It is all over the map here too. Each province establishes their own rules for licensing drivers and vehicles.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CharlieA

Brucer, I was sent to the same one in Salmon Arm.  ;)
Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick 2.

DaveinNH

About a week after I bought my mill last August Wood-Mizer sent me a certificate of origin for just the trailer kit portion of my mill (LT40HD). I was able to use that to get a title (NH requires it) and my plates.
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

OlJarhead

Quote from: DaveinNH on February 26, 2016, 04:58:11 PM
About a week after I bought my mill last August Wood-Mizer sent me a certificate of origin for just the trailer kit portion of my mill (LT40HD). I was able to use that to get a title (NH requires it) and my plates.

Too late now but would be nice if they sent that with a price on it for JUST the trailer...then I'd not have to pay the taxes on the whole thing! lol

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 26, 2016, 05:08:25 PM
Quote from: DaveinNH on February 26, 2016, 04:58:11 PM

Too late now but would be nice if they sent that with a price on it for JUST the trailer...then I'd not have to pay the taxes on the whole thing! lol
Are you talking property tax or sales tax?

OlJarhead

Sales

Bought the mill in OR (no sales tax) pulled it back to WA (sales tax) and since I need to tow it around I have to register it which means I have to pay the taxes in WA on it....cost me $2300!  :o

terrifictimbersllc

In my state one owes use tax on items brought into the state on which sales tax was not paid, with a credit given for any amount paid to another "reciprocating" state.  If yours also has the use tax then you just paid what would otherwise be owed anyway.

p.s. personal property tax in my state is different.  There would be no assessed property tax on a sawmill used for personal purposes.  But the trailer portion would be assessed.   However there is personal property tax assessed on business equipment which would be on its full value.  So in that case a mill for personal purposes would be taxed with declared value on the "trailer portion" hence the separation to the document provided by Wood-mizer.

WV Sawmiller

Here in WV we don't have to put a plate on a sawmill. I looked at mine today and has the same set up as OJH (Should as LT35 is built on LT40 frame and same trailer as I understand).

Actually I am sort of surprised at the location as is so far forward it is pretty much hidden when the head is in the travel position. I don't know what they didn't just hang a bracket at the end of the mill but I am sure the WM folks had their reasons for putting it where it is.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

I'm guessing 2 reasons,  it's because it's on the last channel where a wire can be run inside, for the light.    And it's out of the way and protected being closer to the axle from ever bottoming out on the ground. 

4x4American

Right, here in NY if I mounted a tool box on it, I believe I'd then be required to have a license plate...

Any of you know about hauling your mill through a state that requires a license plate, if you come from one that don't require one?
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

jarhead if I were you I'd have gotten a maine trailer plate.  You can mail order them and they're cheap.  I gave $100 for 5 years to register my gooseneck.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!