iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not bad for the Little Fat Boy

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 14, 2014, 08:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

High in the mid 90's with the heat index close to 100.
Just me, my backhoe, and a Carolina Wren living in the mill sawed 1,196 BF today.

When I know I have a big job coming up, I'll get my logs with the bark starting to release and saw them into cants. The cants will set there until my cut list comes in. Sometimes it may be a month or so.....but when the list comes in, the job can be sawn without a lot of drama.  :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

The ends of your lumber and squares are so... well square. Mine always have angles from felling or splinters hanging out of them... You da man
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hackberry jake on July 14, 2014, 08:52:31 PM
The ends of your lumber and squares are so... well square. Mine always have angles from felling or splinters hanging out of them... You da man

I always ask for my logs to be brought in 6-8 inches over. Once on the mill, I will chainsaw the ends square for the customer.

WDH

I wish that my ends were all square  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Extra work but I bet it makes a really great impression on your customer.  Probably pays a nice dividend.

Customers remember those little extras also.  Wish it was my idea.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Larry on July 14, 2014, 09:08:08 PM
Extra work but I bet it makes a really great impression on your customer.  Probably pays a nice dividend.

Customers remember those little extras also.  Wish it was my idea.

Yes...it is a little more work Larry.....but when I mill a log that is splintered on the end, sometimes the blade will throw splinters back at ya. But not a total waste....I keep the cut off ends for my wood stove. By winter, they'll be dry.

Peter Drouin

Do you leave some trim room for the customer?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red oaks lumber

thats cheating! the guy running the marathon cant count the miles he ran during the month prior towards the race. :D
nice whack o lumber , you need more stickers tho ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Kingcha

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 14, 2014, 10:09:09 PM
you need more stickers tho ;D

And I was thinking those 3 stickers are really big.    :D :D

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 14, 2014, 10:05:19 PM
Do you leave some trim room for the customer?

OMG! I knew I forgot something!  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 14, 2014, 10:09:09 PM

you need more stickers tho ;D

And as I always say....they'll be gone by Friday.  ;D

Chuck White

Mighty handy way of prepping for an upcoming job David!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kipper

Looks really nice! How long do you think you could leave them in cant form until they start to get funky?
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

dablack

How do you roll those things to the mill!  You knocked off all the round parts!!!   :D
Building my own house in East TX

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Kipper on July 15, 2014, 09:22:34 AM
Looks really nice! How long do you think you could leave them in cant form until they start to get funky?

Kipper I have no idea. But I can say this....I now have the option to cover up these cants rather than try to cover up a WHACK of huge Pine logs that were dumped in a pile on the ground. :)
The cants won't be there long. I'm milling everyday and keep my cants going and coming to prevent any down grading.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: dablack on July 15, 2014, 11:38:44 AM
How do you roll those things to the mill!  You knocked off all the round parts!!!   :D

Thats funny......yep the round parts are gone. The cant will slide right off the forks onto the loading arms and will actually slide off the loading arms onto the bed of the mill. The clamp does the rest.

cutterboy

I love the looks of a nice square cant. Great job David. That's an interesting idea.....prepping your logs.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

Quote from: dablack on July 15, 2014, 11:38:44 AMHow do you roll those things to the mill!  You knocked off all the round parts!!!   :D 
Are we talking about the logs, cants, or my LFB  "Little Fat Buddy"??    ???   :D   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

MM, you can't knock the round parts off Poston!!!  That could hurt him.  It might even mean a diet electricuted-smiley  (Like I got a lot of room to talk) :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 16, 2014, 09:53:11 AM
Quote from: dablack on July 15, 2014, 11:38:44 AMHow do you roll those things to the mill!  You knocked off all the round parts!!!   :D 
Are we talking about the logs, cants, or my LFB  "Little Fat Buddy"??    ???   :D   8)

Well, well, well.......there's one in every crowd......and it showed up.  :D :D :D
Like Barney Fife said.......put a red light on your nose and join the circus.  smiley_trap_drummer

dablack

Quote from: Magicman on July 16, 2014, 09:53:11 AM

yes
Building my own house in East TX

Thank You Sponsors!