iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

562xp problems Need some help!

Started by GRP7099, April 03, 2019, 09:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRP7099

I recently purchased a Husqvarna 562xp as a project. It was a 2012 model. I updated it to a 6 screw crankcase, installed a new ignition and picked up a used EL48 carb to replace the EL46. I also put in a new meteor piston while assembling it. First day it ran and cut great. Now it won't even try to start. I have spark but it seems like it's not getting fuel. All the fuel lines look good. Now I'm just frustrated! This is my first time working on an autotune saw. Any ideas on what to try?

wild262

Welcome to the board!  First thing I would do is make sure its getting enough fuel.  Dribble a bit down the inlet to the carb. and see if it will at least "hit".  If it does, back tract and find why fuel is not getting to carb. I never worked on one of those so someone else can take over from here if you have fuel and spark.  I'm pretty much old school on saws repair.  Good luck. 

barbender

I don't think the AT can shut fuel off completely, so I'd be looking for one of the standard reasons that cause a lack of fuel.
Too many irons in the fire

luap

when troubleshooting something that has been recently worked on , ask yourself "what's changed" Then recheck your work. Could be something as simple as a screw or bolt not properly tightened and came loose after your initial run allowing an air leak. As already suggested dribble fuel in to see if it will fire. I have a husky 550XP and it can be critical to follow the manufacturers instructions for starting.

weimedog

Quote from: GRP7099 on April 03, 2019, 09:44:27 AM
I recently purchased a Husqvarna 562xp as a project. It was a 2012 model. I updated it to a 6 screw crankcase, installed a new ignition and picked up a used EL48 carb to replace the EL46. I also put in a new meteor piston while assembling it. First day it ran and cut great. Now it won't even try to start. I have spark but it seems like it's not getting fuel. All the fuel lines look good. Now I'm just frustrated! This is my first time working on an autotune saw. Any ideas on what to try?
You flash the carb on that? You have a dealer close in? Need to check with CST and see what's going on there. Auto tune will shut off the fuel if its not working properly....its all about modulating a valve....and if that's not happening, its not going to run. Probably would tell you all you need if you have a dealer who will take a peak and just do an update anyway.

( Why I quit building them from old dead saws on the channel,  because if a person doesn't have that CST access I have, for the folks who build junk pile saws, frustration will follow. The best strategy for "non" CST access situations is to either get the carb & ignition as a set from a running saw or if you mix and match find a  place who can flash them so they are set up and will run, if you are local I can help with my local dealer and if you are not, there are plenty of dealers who can. Either way if you still have issues, PM me )
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

barbender

I would like to walk back my earlier statement about the Autotune not shutting the fuel off completely😁 

LeeB

Are all 562xp's autotune? Not even sure what year model mine is. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

weimedog

Quote from: LeeB on April 06, 2019, 09:54:42 AM
Are all 562xp's autotune? Not even sure what year model mine is.
All are, and for that matter most of the new saws designs are from the Husqvarna & Stihl folks are. NOT a bad thing. Actually a good thing. His situation is more about mix and matching older components. Even that isn't hard, just have to have a good dealer. NOT the end of the world. The benefits FAR out weight the inconvenience for most saw users.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

LeeB

Haven't had any real problems with mine yet. Contrary to start occasionally but I just pick up another saw and give it another try later.  
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

GRP7099

Dropped it off at the Husqvarna dealer today. Unfortunately they said they are 2 weeks behind in the service department so I won't be able to give you guys a update on it soon. Thanks for the replies. I'm heading back into one of my 272xp projects now. I feel way more at home there. 

weimedog

Quote from: GRP7099 on April 06, 2019, 02:01:01 PM
Dropped it off at the Husqvarna dealer today. Unfortunately they said they are 2 weeks behind in the service department so I won't be able to give you guys a update on it soon. Thanks for the replies. I'm heading back into one of my 272xp projects now. I feel way more at home there.
wish you were close in, would be able to plug it in real time.

GRP7099

I got a really good deal on this saw so I gave it a try. I've never messed with an autotune before. I mainly play around with building the 61 272xp series. My first saw was a 61 and I'm kinda stuck there. Guess I'm showing my age a little. 

moodnacreek

I still have my first saw but I don't think I can lift it!

GRP7099

I hear you about not being able to lift it!! I remember cutting firewood with my father. He had a David Bradley that was like a tank. Also he was big on McCulloch saws. I still have the Pro Mac 10 10 and cut with it occasionally. 

GRP7099

A quick update on this post. I called the husqvarna dealer today that has my saw and they told me they had to order a cable from husqvarna to hook up to my saw for their computer program. My saw has been there a month and they are a very big dealer in size. Wouldn't you think they would have this equipment? Autotune has been around for a little while now.

barbender

Yeah, I would think they should. Not a good first impression!

GRP7099

Update on this saw. I got a call from the dealer finally and they told me they can't get the saw to run. They say it will only run if they put fuel in the carburetor. They said the carb won't draw fuel and they want to put a new carb on it. I put a used EL48 carb on this saw. Should I just buy a new one?

barbender

Yes. I think they have had carb problems, so if you buy a used one you stand a good chance of getting someone else's non-functional one.

ehp

OK , just my thoughts . the first 562s were known to get air leaks , crankcase and places but most times when I see that the saw will not idle proper  but will idle at 7,000 or so rpms and most times its a air leak in the crankcase , gasket between the 2 halves cause the bolts are loose or crank seals , very rare do I see a saw that if carb is put together proper and no holes in fuel lines, impulse line and fuel in tank that I cannot get it to run , it may not run proper but it should at least fire up . In your case first place I would look is to see if the needle in the needle and seat is stuck close which I would bet money on , when stuck close zero fuel from carb can get to motor

weimedog

Quote from: GRP7099 on May 18, 2019, 12:55:32 PM
Update on this saw. I got a call from the dealer finally and they told me they can't get the saw to run. They say it will only run if they put fuel in the carburetor. They said the carb won't draw fuel and they want to put a new carb on it. I put a used EL48 carb on this saw. Should I just buy a new one?
Sounds like a basic miss understanding about firmware & autotunes in general happening.

I have never seen a bad el48, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. On those 562's; step number one is to plug it in and see what CST finds for error codes & what happens with the carb function test.That will confirm or deny the carb issue and often even support or dissuade air leak speculation. Seeing that your dealer had to order a cable, chances are even if they had one they wouldn't know what they are looking at with CST. SO step two after looking and understanding CST will be running down the path that is supported ( there is no big banner telling the saw tech whats wrong! Just clues, strong ones; based on the history recorded ) to solve that problem. ANY good mechanic who understand fundamentals armed with CST can get to a strategy...quickly.

IF the CST adds credence to the air leak concept, step number two is a vac test to confirm or further deny that.
A couple of things I have see on those, first those saw Modded...even by so called experts who understand the flange to case interference & transfer to case interference, they drop the cylinder but don't understand the geometry enough to check what happens when they tighten the muffler..and jack the front of the cylinder creating an air leak right at the transfers. Sometimes it works...I've debugged a few that failed. So has that saw been modified?
Second. Bearing failure, seen a fair amount of that in the pre 2015 era 562's, but none recently. Is it because they have more time? Or was there issues since corrected. I don't know. But I've replaced a few flywheel side seals and PTO side bearings. But in ALL those cases, CST supported and Vac Test absolutely confirmed that diagnosis. SO the dealer has TWO tools to confirm or deny leak issues.

TO the "stuck" valve on the el48 supposition, CST would find that immediately. I've seen that happen on another brand, but have yet to see that on a 562 or any of the autotune Husqvarma's for that matter.
Last, IF that saw has the wrong firmware for the ignition/carb combo, that saw will not operate. The symptom will be no fuel. IF that saw has no firmware it will not operate. Same "no fuel". Simply because the smarts to operate that valve isn't there. So get the SN off the ignition & have your local dealer update the firmware. Or send the ignition and carb "set" to a dealer who understands Autotunes and get a read on the CST reports along with a firmware update if you suspect a "valve" being stuck.

Had a couple of earlier 562's that were tougher to debug than the "air leak" variety. :) .. had a broken ring & ring lands. CST didn't pick it and put a big banner up on the screen because there was no operating history as it stopped...fast :) BUT another simple tool did...compression check. Basic mechanical knowledge isn't replaced or even hampered by the Auto tune apparatus.

HolmenTree

I'm still making a living with my 562XP I bought new 7 years ago.
Never removed its cylinder,  only did a muffler mod. Great saw!
BTW excellent  explanation weimedog!
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

GRP7099

The saw is not modified in any way. All I did was replace the old leaking 5 screw crankcase with a brand new husqvarna 6 screw unit. It has a brand new base gasket. I had the original carburetor on it and it was running but had the usual hesitation. That's why I opted for the EL48. I've never dealt with this dealer before and unfortunately it seemed like they didn't want to be bothered to try to get it running. After they charged me $50 to put it on the cst they told me the next thing they would do is install another carburetor for $250. I went and picked it up. 6 weeks at their shop basically for nothing. 

weimedog

Quote from: GRP7099 on May 23, 2019, 06:05:32 PM
The saw is not modified in any way. All I did was replace the old leaking 5 screw crankcase with a brand new husqvarna 6 screw unit. It has a brand new base gasket. I had the original carburetor on it and it was running but had the usual hesitation. That's why I opted for the EL48. I've never dealt with this dealer before and unfortunately it seemed like they didn't want to be bothered to try to get it running. After they charged me $50 to put it on the cst they told me the next thing they would do is install another carburetor for $250. I went and picked it up. 6 weeks at their shop basically for nothing.
Sorry you are having a tough time with those.. Sounds like the dealer doesn't have a grasp on those saws. Most of the el46 & 48 carbs mix and match with those ignitions that came WITH the el46 and 48 versions, and CST has a menu option to pick the ignition. Then it will install the proper firmware to make that thing work. The older el44's and the first ignitions that have only the "white" plug to cst won't work with the el48. SO sounds like you are caught up in that. IF you have a el48 and an ignition with the "black" (smaller cst plug) that will work...assuming the person working the CST understand what needs to happen; but if it only has the white plug probably will never work. SO if I understand, you had an old version, with the 5 screw case. Upgraded to the 6 screw case and bought an el48. And when you put stuff together it didn't work. If it's that early ignition its not going to work just changing carbs to the later 46 or 48...and probably instead of a carb, if I'm understanding your story, you probably need an ignition to match the el48 and a firm ware installed to match that ignition/el48 set. Chances a new new el48 is bad.....somewhere less than zero. BUT I'm not there and its really hard to debug in cyber space

GRP7099

I bought a new ignition for it. It has the black plug. Unfortunately I think this dealer was clueless. I talked to a couple guys that have dealt with them and none had a kind word to say about them. We had a really good husqvarna dealer about 20 minutes from my place but it burned down years ago and they didn't reopen. I have some trees to take down along my pasture and was hoping to do the work this summer with this saw. This has been quite frustrating. 

weimedog

Most dealer around here will take the ignition and carb connected up with the standard wiring and then plug it into CST and flash that combo for $25 

Thank You Sponsors!