iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat 515

Started by Timberjack_395XP, March 08, 2014, 09:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberjack_395XP

Have a chance to pick up a low hr cat 515 decent price. Anybody have one & what is the verdict on your experience? Currently run all JD/Timberjack but love at cat as well. thanks

Jhenderson

Years ago I had the chance to buy one. I talked to a tech from cat and he warned me about over loading it. He said it was a good firewood machine but the trans wouldn't stand up under constant heavy loads. 2nd gear is the first to go, mostly because it's the one used most. I backed off the sale.

Timberjack_395XP

Is there are remedy for that or is it keep trans on stand by it won't be a heavy use machine but kinda cleanup/small stand use mainly stave use

Jhenderson

I took it to mean don't load it heavy and it'll be fine. Overload it and the trans is the fusible link.

duckslayingpro

Im not used a 515 but have used a 518 know many guys love them.  I dont see how it would only be a firewood machine. We have pulled very large hitches with the 518 with no problems. Id say go for it if it all checks out good. If the 515 is a firewood machine what would you call the 440 deeres and 225 TJ skidders that are way smaller machines.

coxy

your 515s down your way must be different then ours   the 515s here are  bigger look like the 525 cab has heat/air my 518 don't and it looks like a 225 tj compared to the 515  the 508 are a little smaller  don't see many of them here  ;D

Timberjack_395XP

I put a picture of one on the thread so you tell which one it looks like

Maine logger88

I am pretty sure the ones like in the picture are basically a 525 just have a shorter frame
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

PAFaller

Ive cut for 2 of them, one a cable one a grapple. Its way more than a firewood machine, we could produce 2 traixle loads of hardwood logs a day with them no problem. The transmission is the weak link, regardless of maintenance they just go. As stated, usually 2nd gear goes first, you can limp by with one and 3, it has plenty of power to pull in 3rd gear. Im not sure what the issue is, but Ive never met anyone who put a pile of hours on one without transmission issues. 10,000 hours or thereabouts is the magic number.

The good is that they are heavy and will pull a lot of wood. The bad is that they are heavy, and they use a lot of fuel. The cabs are roomy and pretty comfortable, and with the grapple it wasnt bad to run. The cable machines are a climb in and out all day, so keep that in mind. I've been spoiled with my timberjack, but most skidders nowadays have cabs that require some climbing. The ones I worked with had 28L tires and were 10 feet wide, so you needed permits to move everywhere you went. It got around ok, but in select cuts seemed sort of cumbersome. The lufkin winch is incredibly powerful and will snap a 5/8 cable if you aren't careful. I found it to be more stable than some Deeres I have run, but not a 200 series timberjack or a Franklin for that matter. Straight up and down on the hills it did ok. If you are a Cat man you already know Cat labeled parts are expensive, and like most Cat equipment you can get aftermarket filters and so forth, but a lot of them are genuine Cat and you pay for them.
It ain't easy...

Timberjack_395XP

Is there a stronger fix for 2nd gear like an upgrade or is rebuild time everytime? Its sounds good other than that Ill price a reman today to figure cost

PAFaller

The guy I worked with had his trans swapped for a new reman, downtime to do the rebuild of his at the shop was even worse than the cost of the reman. There are a few shops here in PA that Ive heard will rebuild them, but even that is not cheap. The push button shifting is nice, but has its flaws, price being one of them. All told I didnt mind the machine, but would not be my first choice to run either. Any kind of uphill or muddy pull and you could figure 25-30 gallons of fuel a day.
It ain't easy...

coxy

Quote from: Timberjack_395XP on March 12, 2014, 07:50:51 AM
I put a picture of one on the thread so you tell which one it looks like
looks like the 525 and 545

Thank You Sponsors!