iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

thumping/banging noise

Started by peanut08, January 17, 2013, 09:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut08

new to here and new to owb. i bought a used duel fuel central 6048 owb boiler  first fired it up Sunday  the other night while it was in its burn cycle there was a slight thumping  noise coming from it. didn't think much of it  tonight walked outside and it sounded like a 100 little people inside hitting it with hammers  on another burn later i could hear it from in the house about 50 feet away  water level good temp in range    any ideas  normal or not
thanks 

thecfarm

peanut08,welcome to the forum. Sounds like air? I have a Heatmor OWB so can not really help you. Hang on,others are coming!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Makes me think of the "thump keg" on a still. I would think it would either be air or water in the lines creating that type of noise. "100 little people with hammers"? That's funny. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

peanut08

lol yea it sounds funny  im just hopping its nothing serious  it almost sounds like the water is boiling real hard  but i dont know how when at the time its doing it the water temp was showing 174  going to call local dealer tomorrow and see what he has to say 

clww

As PC wrote, you'll probably get a bunch of replies on here tomorrow. It's kind of late in the the evening now.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Air in the lines, and they need to be purged. IMO

Water not moving through the system so there may be localized areas near the fire that are boiling water, and creating steam which will also "thump"

The small pumps can't force enough water through to push out air in lines. There needs to be a way to hook to a higher pressure house line and blow (purge) that air.

Have a manual?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

peanut08

yes i have a manual read it more than once    what i dont understand is why its been good but now is getting worse after 4 days

beenthere

Don't know, but maybe the fire is hotter.  ??
Does the manual discuss purging air out of the lines?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NWP

Quote from: peanut08 on January 17, 2013, 09:59:01 PM
  it sounded like a 100 little people inside hitting it with hammers   

It's getting worse because the 100 little people with hammers are getting really hot and want out.  They are trying to get your attention by banging on the side. ;D
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

boilerman101

Could be air in lines or could be a pump flow issue. What pump or what size pump do you have on OWF? How far does OWF sit from house? I have heard of this happening with an incorrectly sized pump.

wheelinguy

Is the noise constant or only when the fire is going strong?  I have a cl 6048 and in the past when the fire was going strong and the temp only read 170-180 I could hear the thumping, I always assumed it was the water in contact with the jacket that was boiling because the pump couldn't circulate the water as fast as it was getting heated.  Seems like air in the lines wouldn't be an issue with an open system?  Are you pumping uphill?  Maybe its just to much for the pumps to overcome and the water sits a little longer and boils?

Al_Smith

I don't know that much about hot water OWB's but on steam systems for heat if that steam hits condensate in the lines it can make a mighty thump .

Now could it be as was mentioned that the water flow might be low enough that the fire is heating the feed water to steam instead of just hot water ?

gspren

I know you bought it used but if there is a dealer nearby I would stop and ask about it, you get better answers in person than over the phone in my opinion.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

r.man

As to getting air out, I have had that problem before and have a simple solution for my system. I have a fill valve piped into the furnace lines and isolating valves on each of the lines coming in. Shut off the pump, close one incoming valve and open the fill valve for about 30 seconds. Reverse valves and do it again, no more air in the lines. If I were you I would add a fill valve if you don't already have one, purge both lines and make sure the water level in the furnace is adequate.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

peanut08

called the local dealer today told him my problem  he didn't have a clue  lol so i called central boiler  told them my problem  and they said it was localized hot spots boiling even though the temp wasn't to high said it wouldn't hurt anything  but to fix it try lowering my pump on the boiler  or maybe even change the pump  i have a taco 009 they suggested a 007  as i again asked them if it wont hurt anything then it wouldn't hurt to wait to try some different things until the upcoming cold spell passes and they said  it could wait   so i called the dealer back and told him what they said  he wanted to know if i wanted a job as a tech  ???    to answer a few of your questions  about 75 feet from owb to heat exchanger   level ground water level good and yes it is when its in the burn cycle  also i moved the wood back farther in the stove and it isn't as bad
another issue  i noticed last night  my blower on my furnace was starting to make a little squealing noise so i called my furnace guy and told him i wanted to get a new motor  for when mine goes bad i would have one he dropped it off to night  wanted to hear what mine sounded like  went inside   pulled the cover off the furnace  and  at the same time the blower tried to start  with just a hum lol  boy am i glad i called him  and that he dropped it off just got done replacing  it  hhhmmm wonder what  next.  thanks for the replies and suggestions   

swking

Did a new pump fix this issue?

E Yoder

A 007 at that length of run will probably push less water than the 009? The 7 is a fairly low head pump. ?
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

SwampDonkey

You probably ran into the local dealer playing 'I don't know because you never bought it here'. :D I don't know why, no one expects them to work for nothing.  I know a couple neighbors ran into that attitude when the installers vanished from the business of selling and installing heat pumps. They thought they was getting a deal. In the end, Nope. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

My take is that it is more likely a faulty pump than a line issue.  There are no lines inside of the furnace, to my knowledge.  Just a large water jacket reservoir.  But I can see a faulty pump leaving a hotspot, which could create this problem.  

Personally, I would not wait until spring to change the pumps and purge the system, as previously suggested.  I have no specific knowledge, but I wouldn't want a constant banging on my steel furnace.  You need to fire those guys with the hammers.

rman -  when you had air in your lines did you have a water hammer problem, or just a flow issue.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!