iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Verso Paper

Started by Farmboy 96, August 20, 2015, 01:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy 96

Don't know how true it is but the guy who hauls wood for me told me heard there laying off 300 people at their Jay Mill. Shutting down a paper machine and basically freezing production at one of the Kentucky mills. It dosn't surprise me about the jay mill they've been fighting the town about taxes and have been trying to get a natural gas pipeline in but neither ones been working out to good for them.

jd540b

It's true, unfortunately.

Woodhauler

its true, but I bet the production has been down for a long time! Bet they will still make same amount of paper if needed but with out the extra cost of 330 people. Sad but true.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Maine logger88

Wow that doesn't sound good I wonder if there will even be a paper market in Maine in 10 years at this rate. I hope A bunch of us don't have to start looking for another job...
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

HiTech

Paper Mills are getting scarce in America. They have moved offshore where wages are low and OSHA and the EPA aren't problems. I worked for St. Regis/Champion for 33 years and thought it would be around forever. Once the Politicians got involved...we were history. Bucksport was very modern mill compared to what we had and that closed up as did Cortland Alabama I believe. Plus many, many more. With Inflation and deregulation and open borders and probably a few more we didn't stand a chance. The CEO's had to justify their salaries and their $400 and $500 million Golden Parachutes. We were once a manufacturing Giant and now we are a services nation. Computer jobs and flipping burgers at McDonald's. lol

thecfarm

Yes,it's sad to see that again.I thought the same as HiTech. Times were good at one time. How times has changed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gearbox

As I see the paper industry I think hi tech is the reason . A paper machine is so fast now that one machine is  replacing 3 or 4 of the old ones . They have to be where the wood is . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

sandsawmill14

also think about how much email and electronics have done away with paper. my daughter is taking 3 college classes this year and 2 of them dont even have a textbook its all online ( the books are online the classes are on campus )
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

CuddleBugFirewood

Their stock is below one dollar and in danger of being delisted. I also read in their press release that paper demand is down considerably for the coated paper I forget the exact percentage but I think around 10% in the last couple years.  The also blame the strong dollar for making imports of paper cheaper while also making exports more expensive

I don't know of any good options in the Illinois Missouri Kentucky area for taking Pulpwood. 
I am curious what other loggers in my area are doing.  I don't sell much pulp, but was hoping to have some other markets.  Maybe I need to get back in the firewood business

Puffergas

Our Hammermill Paper plant shut down about 20 years ago. At one time computers increased paper use but now that might not be true. I think toilet paper is still in use..
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Maine logger88

I heard the mill in woodland just put in 2 tissue machines and if that goes well there gonna put in 2 more! I am not sure what species they use to make tissues tho

jd540b

I was told one of the machines shut down was a pulp dryer that made rolled softwood pulp.  The biggest user of that product was their mill in Buckport.  They will keep buying hardwood but no more spruce groundwood and softwood quota is going to be cut.

Woodhauler

Once they clean up the piledown yards things should be ok! They have a LOT OF WOOD GOING BAD!!  Time for the wood buyers to start buying what they need! I would rather have a couple loads aweek instead of having it wide open then shut off indefintly!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Maine logger88

Quote from: Woodhauler on August 22, 2015, 01:28:12 PM
Once they clean up the piledown yards things should be ok! They have a LOT OF WOOD GOING BAD!!  Time for the wood buyers to start buying what they need! I would rather have a couple loads aweek instead of having it wide open then shut off indefintly!
Yeah that's true I think a lot of chip guys are pulping more right now which is part of the problem. And I agree 100% about The wood buyers

snowstorm

they have natural gas at the mill. same old story it costs to much. the ground wood side is shutting down. and by downsizing a bit and the bio boiler running on mill wast  they will not need to buy gas. that and letting 300 people go results in big savings

Ed_K

The verso dilemma has made it all the way down here  >:( .Got a letter from my pulp mill stating they are not excepting pine pulp anymore.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!