iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How old for oak trees to start acorn production?

Started by pappy19, October 24, 2009, 12:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

So I haven't been around hardwoods for many years, and I may have known the answer to that question, but long forgotten. I saw a statistic yesterday saying that an oak tree must be around 50 years old before it starts producing acorns. Is that a true statement or close to it? Thanks-

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

locustoak

I heard that before as well, but it's not true.  My parents planted some white oak seedlings years ago.  It took about 20 years before they had their first acorn crop.

SwampDonkey

It's been about 20 years for my white oak to flower, but only 15 years for my red oak. They are viable seed and I and the squirrels have germinated a good many off the one red oak. The white oak has not produced pollen yet.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodtroll

Depends on the tree sp and growing conditions. I have seen some as fast as 10 years plenty around 15.

Phorester

50 years is way off the mark.  A rule of thumb the VA DOF uses is 15 years for both red and white oak families.  With the exceptiion of sawtooth oak, which can start producing them in 5 - 10 years or so.

Ron Scott

Ditto! I've seen them as early as 5 years also.
~Ron

letemgrow

Hybrid white oaks can start as soon as 5 years, dwarf chinkapin oaks can start as early as 2 years old.  Under normal conditions, 20 years is the rule for acorn production.   

Magicman

Growing up, I always heard the "old folks" say 25 years.  Now I'm "old folks"....... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

We probably have to separate open grown from forest grown. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

letemgrow

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 01, 2009, 09:51:52 AM
We probably have to separate open grown from forest grown. ;)

Very good point, forest grown trees are more than likely 50+ years to produce if there is a lot of competition.  Open grown trees will be 20 or less for pure species in good growing conditions.  Hybrids can be much much faster though and 5 years is not out of the question there. 

Magicman

I didn't get pictures, but we set out two live oaks in '06 after Katrina.  They were about 4' high (age...?).  One of them had about a dozen acorns on it this year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: letemgrow on October 30, 2009, 10:56:06 PM
Hybrid white oaks can start as soon as 5 years, dwarf chinkapin oaks can start as early as 2 years old.  Under normal conditions, 20 years is the rule for acorn production.   

...pretty much 'ditto' on what Phil said here. I've seen pin oaks in our area produce in as little as 10 years as well.

ladylake

I cut a dieing one on my yard that sent up some little ones off the stump that had huge acorns when they were 3" tall . They must have thought they were a old tree.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Quote from: ladylake on December 22, 2009, 07:09:30 AM
had huge acorns when they were 3" tall    Steve 

Three inches......boy they did think that they were "grown up"........ :D :D :D

letemgrow

I believe that when an oak is going to kick the bucket, that stimulates them to put on a lot of acorns.  The big root system having only small sprouts to feed could be another cause of them to have acorns so small. 

Magicman

Quote from: letemgrow on December 22, 2009, 01:09:12 PM
I believe that when an oak is going to kick the bucket, that stimulates them to put on a lot of acorns.  The big root system having only small sprouts to feed could be another cause of them to have acorns so small. 

Yes, I've seen that happen before.  Seems like when they are stressed, they put forth a big effort to reproduce.

MMMmmmm...... :D

Ron Scott

Sawtooth oak is one of the oak species that produces acorns in 4-5 years where other species may be 20-30 years. It is a species of white oak being favored for wildlife.

http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/bulletins/bulletin_08.pdf
~Ron

ladylake

Quote from: Magicman on December 22, 2009, 09:18:09 AM
Quote from: ladylake on December 22, 2009, 07:09:30 AM
had huge acorns when they were 3" tall    Steve 

Three inches......boy they did think that they were "grown up"........ :D :D :D

Sorry. I meant 3'  tall, but they were real short to have those big acorns.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!