iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 025 chainsaw settings questions

Started by tbrickner, June 03, 2010, 07:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrickner

Hi All,

A freind of mine wants his 025 chiansaw tuned.  I have worked with other stihl saws but am not familiar with the factory recommended LA (idle), L, & H settings on the 025.  Does anyone have the factory recommended speeds on these?  Being a home owner saw does anyone know if the saw has a H adjustment.  The only thing I have on the saw is the user manual which doesn't give any information about the H (High) adjustment.

Thanks,
Tom

Rocky_J

Same as all the other Stihls.

Several years back Stihl put fixed jet carbs on a few models with no high speed adjustment. That was about the time I quit buying Stihls (after sending a POS 026 flying from about 50' up a tree). They later realized the folly of their ways and went back to an adjustable carb.

If your buddy's saw has a fixed jet carb with no H adjustment and it runs fine, then leave it alone. If it needs work then throw the carb away and buy an adjustable carb for it. Your local Stihl dealer will be able to look up the correct model for you.

If you just need to make sure it's dialed in correctly, here is a good description of the process. The saw make or model doesn't make much difference, that's like asking how to air up a Michelin tire versus a Goodyear tire.

http://www.madsens1.com/saw%20carb%20tune.htm

tbrickner

Hi Rocky J

Is it even worth adjusting the idle and low.  I guess adjusting the low would have some benefit as far as making sure the fuel air ratio is adjusted properly then checking to see how it affects the high with a tach and listening for the 4 cycle sound to make sure I am not too lean on the carb.

Does a saw like this typically run high at around 13000 RPM?

Coon

I have the same saw and believe that both the high and low settings should be around 1 turn out.  I will look on my saw in the morning as I know it is stamped or there is a sticker on it that says what it should be at.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Ianab

The H setting is the vital one, get that wrong and the saw melts down.

The L settings relate to the saws idle. It wont self destruct, but it will either conk out at idle, or run too fast and still spin the chain (safety problem). Either way, not a good thing, but the saw wont die.

If the saw won't idle reliably without the chain spinning, then you need to fiddle with the low end settings.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WCarp

I checked my 025 for max RPM and it was approximately 15,000. It's supposed to be 13,000 so it's running too lean. So what would you suggest doing since there is no H adjustment? It's VERY poor that Stihl didn't include an H adjustment!

sawguy21

You can thank the EPA for that, Stihl had no choice. Don't pin it no load, if an 025 hasn't grenaded by now you shouldn't have any problems.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!