iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homebuilt forklift

Started by dave_dj1, October 06, 2016, 08:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave_dj1

I finally got around to making a couple of short videos of the Jacobson riding mower I converted to a little forklift. The tractor was given to me by a friends father about 3 years ago. It's a 1971 Jacobson, hydrostatic drive, 14 hp Kohler engine. It is really handy around the house. I have been using it quite a bit lately getting my firewood ready for the winter. It surprises me how much it will lift. Last night I sold a 8' Meyer C8 commercial grade snow plow, I tipped it onto a pallet and was able to pick it up, lift it high enough to let it on the tailgate of a 4x4 dodge truck. I was impressed! I take full size pallets and cut them in half, add some sides and stack wood in them. The pallets end up 2' x 4' by about 3' tall. Loaded with green wood I can't quite lift one but when it's dry they are no problem. My wood is cut approximately 24" - 28" long. Mostly Oak, Hickory and Maple with a little White Birch thrown in.
The hardest part was figuring out the proper geometry for the bell crank so the steering would work in the right direction and properly.
Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3EJxKbYa0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojZoQ1yAdi0

Hilltop366

Cool, your back will thank you.

thecfarm

Anything to make work easier. Looks like it took a few smarts to get to work right. Good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gearbox

What a great build and idea . Another use for small winches .  I like .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

newoodguy78

That rig is slick!! Nice work  8) 8)

fishpharmer

Great job! I like seeing homemade equipment .
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Duke Santos

Darrel

that's pretty cool!  so what will it lift?  about 400 lbs?
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

dave_dj1

Thanks guys. It is VERY useful. I'm not sure how much it will lift but I bet it is over 500 lbs. One of these days I am going to weigh a couple of pieces of wood and count how many are on a rack to see how much each rack weighs on average. :)

r.man

That is a great conversion, very inspiring.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

dave_dj1

One thing about the Jacobsen is that it has actual steering box like in a car so I was able to relocate that and rig up some steering linkage.

Thank You Sponsors!