iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

processing softwood into firewood?

Started by part timer, October 19, 2016, 05:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

part timer

So there is a forest of scotch pine wood that has just been felled for timber and there are lots of scraps left over to me that are no good to be sold to the timber yards.
So the plan is to collect all these scraps and cut it up into firewood to be sold.
But the question is what kind of fire wood should I be processing it into?

1. The first thing that came to mine was selling kiln dried logs on amazon and delivering them by a courier on an 18 tonner
Have a look at the prices of this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tigerbox®-...iln+dried+logs
Of cource I would have to build a kiln
Problem is that all the listing of kiln dried logs on Amazon are all hardwood and I dont see anyone wanting to buy soft wood until it is very cold and the hardwood has ran out

2. Would be to buy a kindeling splitter and split and bag them and sell them by the pallet load
And as it is freshly felled timber they would most probably need to be kiln dried too

3. Would be to process them into small bags like these and sell by the pallet load
https://groceries.asda.com/product/l...s/910001176250
For a supermarket dont you just love there honesty "Part seasoned softwood logs. Further drying time is recommended"
So that is what I have soft wood and they dont need to be kiln dried but I do have to season them a little
They do also sell kiln dried logs as well https://groceries.asda.com/product/l...s/910001300290
But again they are hard wood

4. or would anyone buy the timber as it is

So what do you think please?

GAB

part timer - Welcome to the forestry forum.
If I had an indication as to where you are located that would help in replying to your inquiry.
Here in Vermont we use soft wood mostly to fire up the evaporators for producing maple syrup.
We use the higher btu hardwood for home heating as it has a longer burn time.
Poplar and basswood are low btu hardwoods and much of that is used for boiling maple sap or making swedish candles or open pit fires.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

part timer

HI Gab and thanks for the reply
I live in the lake district, united kingdom
Hear too hardwood is used for domestic heating but I never considered industry buying softwood
Can you think of anything over hear that may need it?

Thanks

timberlinetree

Pine supposed to clog chimneys and pops alot,but starts easy and burns hot and fast.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

LeeB

Pine is burned for heating in lots of places. You burn what you have.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ox

Cut, split, stack, sell next year as seasoned.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

Pine gets a bad rap about creating creosote.  Choking the air off causing inefficient burning is the principal cause, regardless of the species.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Quote from: timberlinetree on October 21, 2016, 05:27:37 AM
Pine supposed to clog chimneys and pops alot,but starts easy and burns hot and fast.

Properly dried and burned properly pine will not cause any more creosote buildup than hardwoods. You'll just need to make more trips to fill up your wood stove. What leads to people thinking pine causes creosote is that it burns fast. So people choke off the air trying to make it last. It's that cold, smoldery fire that produces the creosote (and it will produce creosote if you choke off the air to a hardwood fire as well).

[Edit - oops! I guess I should have finished reading the other comments before responding to the thread]
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Have you though about selling it for camp fire wood? Lots of campgrounds in my area sell softwoods for campfires.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!