iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kinetic Splitter what should it sound like?

Started by porcupine, December 13, 2016, 04:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine

I just bought a used Speeco SpeedPro Kinetic splitter. 6.5 HP Kohler engine which runs well.

I've read about the problems they have had. The rack and pinion teeth breaking and the inherent safely issues. I've seen many uTube videos of these in action but with the engine noise I was unable to hear the functioning of the mechanicals.

The price was quite a bit lower than others I've seen to I thought I got a good deal....maybe I did but I've only used it once. Time will tell.

The previous owner gave me the typical line about how he took care of it and so on with a few home repairs. He said to keep the rpms low.

It really is fast compared to my 33 ton Cub Cadet hydraulic.

I researched these types of splitters except for what I found out today: Discontinued machine, they are not producing replacement parts. Speeco is only selling what they have on the shelf to original owners. Strike one on me.

When I push down on the handle to engage the rack onto the spinning pinion gear it does not connect cleanly or smoothly. A grinding noise is made. Sounds like an young person learning how to shift (grind) gears on a manual shift auto.

I've tried slow and medium engine speeds, slow smooth engagement of the handle. It still makes grinding sound. After a few minutes of that I was pushing the handle quick and hard with a slight sound of gears clashing. Other than that I quite impressed with this unit.

Is this disturbing sound normal for these kinetic type splitters or did I get myself into a fixer upper?
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

hedgerow

I hope you bought this cheap and you are a good fabricator. I had one gave to me that  had the updates from the dealers put in and had never been used as they were pulled from TSC around here and some didn't get sold. It does the same thing your talking about.  I haven't started working on it as someone else had got it threw the TSC route and tried to run it and it sounded bad so they parked it and it has setting for several years. I just got it this fall got it running and it looking like I will install a jack shaft to slow the speed down and the engaging system for the pinion gear to the rack looks to be rebuilt using some heavier parts. I think a person can make these work or you could always make it a hyd splitter.

John Mc

Quote from: hedgerow on December 13, 2016, 07:07:59 PM
I hope you bought this cheap and you are a good fabricator.

It's not just the fabrication that's going to be the problem. They did not use the proper alloy or quality of steel for the rack and pinion gears and/or did not heat treat them properly. Getting good replacements made and properly heat-treated is going to be an expensive process.

BTW, I would use a sharp, "crisp" motion to engage the gears, don't try to slowly slip it in. With no load on the gears, they should go in with minimal grinding if you move it quickly.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

I've never seen one of these things up close but would suspect the rack and pinion drive is made of "off the shelf" materials. It would make no sense to machine their own gears no more than what they would use .As such it might well be a thing that if needed a person could just use standard rack drive of the correct pitch which are readily available although not inexpensive .

Al_Smith

Oh say I just surfed flea bay and depending on the gear pitch "Boston" gear racks and the pinions are not as high priced as I thought ,Might be worth checking out

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 14, 2016, 06:15:07 AM
I've never seen one of these things up close but would suspect the rack and pinion drive is made of "off the shelf" materials. It would make no sense to machine their own gears no more than what they would use .As such it might well be a thing that if needed a person could just use standard rack drive of the correct pitch which are readily available although not inexpensive .

That may well be true, though a typical pack & pinion is designed mostly to withstand wear. Ideally, the heat treatment cycle (and possibly the alloy used?) to withstand impact would probably be different. That doesn't mean they actually made the best choices in this instance. Having not seen any of the failures up close, it's not clear to me whether this was just a quality control issue or a design/specifications issue.  I do know that SuperSplit does not have this issue, Speeco does. DR Products had the issue initially, I'm not sure if they've corrected it or not (I assume they have, since they are still selling them).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

47sawdust

There is a reason you seldom see a used Supersplitter for sale.The Dr and Speeco models are a copy without the quality.I have had my Supersplitter for 5 years and it is fast and flawless with excellent and friendly support.Yes there can be some noise when engaging the rack and pinion but only if you hesitate when engaging.A quick lift of the handle and the action is smooth.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

shamusturbo

I bought a Speeco in perfect shape in Maine in April 2014. Exactly what you have, I believe. We have had more luck running medium to high RPM's and when you engage, slam it. It should sound pretty "clean" and "crisp". We have had the most trouble with keeping the brass slider plate attached to the bottom of the "push head". Also, the rollers on the head that ride under the "beam" go bad as well. Most fixes you can get away with hardware from TSC. We push the machine to the max for sure. KEEP IT LUBED AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. EVERYTHING THAT MOVES. It is definitely a fixer upper but when it runs right, it can be super productive.

We use it strictly to bust down pieces the processor didn't get small enough. After a few hours, you will find get a feel for the pieces that shouldn't go into the machine and there are definitely some. Mostly the knots. It can make it through some of them but it is not worth the wear and tear on the machine.

We have been kicking around the idea of getting a  Super Splitter new. You have to remember they have huge resale value even 30 years down the road.

Side Story: When we bought a super high dollar semi-processor (CRD Green Monster) in Maine in 2011, the guy we bought it from had a 20+ year old SS in the corner that looked like it needed a hug and he wouldn't sell it to us for ANY amount of money.

RUN ER' TIL SHE BLOWS (or explodes)
Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

porcupine

Well that helps, I get it now......a little bit of buyers remorse but I will use it. I may make upgrades on this thing to beef it up.

I do like the Super Split but need time to get over the sticker shock of 3k with the options.....I have no problem of spending cash on quality tools. So maybe it's in the future.

Thanks guys.

Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer

jwade

as shamus turbo said keep it reased, i  grease the pinion and rack with,  bearing grease every cord or so. good luck with the machine.

porcupine

Here's a heads up for anyone who is in my situation: Speeco will not sell replacement parts if you are not the original purchaser of their SpeedPro Splitter.

I needed a return extension spring and was unable to match it up anywhere so I went to the DR website and ordered a set there.

Other parts may be needed after I fully inspect this splitter and I may get lucky with this supplier.
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!