iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Axes

Started by sandy, March 16, 2003, 03:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

I would like to get infomation on the name brand of a good double bit axe. At one time Plum was a axe that I liked but can't find them anymore. Just a good axe to be used around a small farm better than the axes found at Lowes and Home Depot. Thanks.

HORSELOGGER

Hi Sandy, I think the Stihl chainsaw dealers are selling some pretty nice hand tools now, including a couple of handy looking axes. I like my Estwing ax. Its all one piece of steel and just right for general use. Course just cuz I log with horses dont mean I fell em with an ax ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Tom

I still see some pretty good axes around the Flea Markets but if I were to buy a new one I'd go to Sears.  It's probably one of the few things I would buy there.  I don't care for double bit's, but I have a 3 1/2 lb Craftsman felling axe that I've used since 1971 and it's a good one.

Scott

Hi Sandy. I love double bitted axes, i'm not really sure why but that doesn't matter. I'll give you a link to a local company. Their products are good quality. you can mail order from them but you'll have to look around the site for an address.
http://www.marfor.ca/prod16.htm

Frank_Pender

Sandy I guess I could part with one inf you really want a true fallers ax.  I collect them. I have some that are well over 50 years old.  Most do not have handles, so you would have to come u with your own handle.  I make most all of my own handles, these days.  I use often use a variety of species for the handles: Western Big Leaf Maple, Western Oregon White Oak, Oregon Ash, Western Oregon Wild Cherry, and I even have a couple out of Black Walnut. ;D
Frank Pender

Saki

Howdy! I agree with what everyone has said above. If you can get to a flea market, or estate sale or something you may be able to replace your plum with a plum. Other pretty good names that come to mind include bluegrass, vancamp, truetemper, kingkutter and many others I am sure. If you are looking to get a brand new one, forestry suppliers has an extensive selection as well. Best of luck, Saki

Bibbyman

I've given up looking for a good ax.  Every one I've seen in the last 10 years looks like a hunk of pot metal on a stick.  Look like they'd break a snake's back but probably wouldn't knock a scale off.  

I did see some nice axes at the Paul Bunyan show but they were fancy axes made for throwing and choppin' contest - not the kind you could use around the farm.  The vendor could get that kind but it would be expensive - couple hundred as I remember.

I've got a couple of Keen-Kutters in my collection but they are worn beyond good use.  Then again,  I'm a bit that way too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Mark M

Peavy Company has axes but I've never seen one. Their cant hooks and log carriers are good quality.

MrMoo

I just read a small book called the Axe Book from Gransfors Bruks. They're a small Swedish company that hand forges axes. They appear to be high quality. They say they do not paint their axes as most manufacterers do since that is used to hide defects like voids that are filled after forging.
They have a distributor in the USA check out the website:

http://www.gransfors.com

The price list shows the following for double bit & felling axes:

Double bit felling axe $136
Double bit throwing axe $129
American felling axe 31" $112
American felling axe 35" $116

Looks like they also make Tove wrecking bars.

Mike

DanG

All of my axes have either been found, or purchased at second-hand/junk shops for a buck or so. When I find a good head, I squirrel it away until I need it, or until somebody whines loud enough that I just give it to'em. ::)  I get my handles from a little independent hardware store down the road, for $9 to $10.
My favorite axe head has no name on it, and I found it being used as a wedge, propping up the porch of an old house. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sawyerfortyish

I think I seen axes in Baileys last catalogue. You can probably look for them on line

dail_h

Used to have a hudson bay style axe 1/2 -3/4 sise,had it for years handiest thing to be sure ,dissapeared out of back of truck.I think Bailey's has them,saw one in a catalog somewhere the other day was going to order.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Mark M

I just bought one of the Hudson Bay axes from Bailey's for my son and it is of very poor quality. I am a little disappointed  :(  because I know most Bailey's stuff is good. Looks like it came from China or someplace. It had a brand name I recognized but handel is very crude and rough. Course what do you expect for $15 bucks.

Mark

ADfields

I just got an Estwing camp ax last week and that thing is great! 8)   I think it's the same thing Horseloger has.   All forged steel with a heavy rubber grip on the steel of the handle like the hammers they make.   It's half way between a hand ax and a felling ax, around 32" long, single bit and the best workmanship I could find.   It's a good little tool and I'm glad I went ahead and payed the $48.99 for it but I was sure looking at the 15 buck junker right next to it till the wife piped up "Get the good one or you will be in hear next week to get another cheep one." ;D
Andy

Scott_R

AD, smart lady you got there! Scott

Mark M

I am going to get one of those Estwing axes one of these days, they are really nice. I have a Fiskars hatchet that I really like, they make the axes for Stihl. I've looked at the Stihl axes but the handles are a little short and the price is a little high. I've seen some pretty good looking axes and mauls made by a company called GRIP. They have some kind of plastic or fiberglass handle and the heads have a good finish with proper angles. A lot of splitting mauls have too much taper and require you to drive into the wood several inches before they start to split.

ADfields

Scott, she just knows that when I go back for a new cheep ax I will get $100 in other boys toys I don't need. ;D ;D  

??? ???
Well, I guess that would make her smart come to think of it. ::)   Well she's still a keeper!! 8)
Andy

sandy

Just wanted to thank all for that responded. I should have more than enough info. to get a good axe. Thanks.  ;D ;D

Mark M

I just got this link to Peavey, they have good axes and logging tools.

Peavey Manufacturing

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!