iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deere 540A winch

Started by rowtohoe, January 25, 2016, 06:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowtohoe

Hello, I have  deere 540A. With a Deere winch. The winch works fine but when I am free spooling I feel a high spot on every rotation, which makes it hard to pull. Also when I am winching in there is a squeak on every rotation. Has anyone ever had this symptom. I am thinking bearing. Not sure how hard of a job that would be. Do I need to remove the winch to work on it easily?  Brake band has been adjusted. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

teakwood

I have a 540A with a 3305 winch. i did a complete dismantle of the winch, it isn't that hard to do. its better when you can take it of the skidder, easier to get to the parts.
Not sure what your problem is, i would of course check all gears first, take the cable of so you can turn it freely by hand, then i am sure you can hear where the problem is.

Mine is not free spooling without reving the engine, always worked before. i think low hyd pressure.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

coxy

Quote from: teakwood on January 26, 2016, 07:21:30 AM
I have a 540A with a 3305 winch. i did a complete dismantle of the winch, it isn't that hard to do. its better when you can take it of the skidder, easier to get to the parts.
Not sure what your problem is, i would of course check all gears first, take the cable of so you can turn it freely by hand, then i am sure you can hear where the problem is.

Mine is not free spooling without reving the engine, always worked before. i think low hyd pressure.
check the  screen on the pump side it my have plugged after the rebuild had the same thing on a 3315 but ran it to long plugged and know have to have it 1800-2000rpms to free spool             rowtohoe  look at the springs for the brake band to see if 1 is broken you may have a flat spot in the band and with the spring broke its cocking the band sideways and dragging  or the band may have a piece broke out of it and letting it drag

teakwood

Thanks coxy, that was my first gues too. i will see when i have the time to check that screen. Its a pain to drain the oil on that winch. the plug is just one inch over the dieseltank and the whole oil will mess half the skidder up

teakwood

Coxy. Did check the screen today, everything is clean, oil, screen, filter is new. I dont get it. at idle the winch measured just 100psi, when reving the engine it shows 1000psi quickly (that what manual said), so the pump is strong. Then i attacked the control valve everything looks good, i turned the relief Valve in and out what absolutely made no difference, pressure is always 1000psi. no leaks at all on the whole winch.   The only thing that occurred to me is that the control valve is bypassing oil thru the valve seats (some brass tubes) ????
It always worked at idle until yesterday.

coxy

teakwood

Coxy. A mechanic here told me that its probably the wearplate (looks like googles) in the pump that have some small scratches and at idle pressure gets lost there a little bit.
Do you know where i can get that part? is that still available?
Thanks for the help

coxy

as far as I know we can still get the pump ill PM you

Thank You Sponsors!