iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is a fair price

Started by Tim L, October 09, 2008, 08:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim L

I've never sawn for money before (usually barter with friends and neighbors). Now some one wants me to saw out a shed for them with me supplying the logs which I'll have to cut and retrieve on my lot .whats a fair price for pine cut per his cut list in NH ?
Do the best you can and don't look back

Splinter

Had 1000bf done for .25/bf this spring at my site. mostly pine some maple.

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

woodmills1

My logs cut pine 50 cents for ten years haven't raised

for all same width I go to 60 to take care fo the lost pieces and extra trim
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

LeeB

I suspect your gonna be dissapointed in what a fair price is. I bet it surely will be different from each point of veiw. I can't help you with this one. I don't do any logging, just custom sawing.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

MikeH

A fair price would be higher than it cost to buy the wood at home depot.

cheyenne

But it will be a lot better wood....... You might think about an hourly rate or check around & see what other sawyers are getting & make sure you make money......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

WDH

At a minimum, price your logs at a market value delivered to a mill (since you will be delivering them to your mill).  Then, add your sawing costs.  Doing it for any less than that is not a fair price to you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

adrean louis

i perfer to use per hour rate at $40.00 an hour and that comes to about .25 to .50 cents

Chuck White

Fair price or not, I'm not sure.

There's a guy here, 70'ish who just bought a WM LT40 Manual.
He's selling a lot of White Pine that "blew down" during the windstorm this summer, on his property, custom sawed for 50ยข per board foot.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mike_van

Just for a ballpark 'gestimate' - A month ago I bought a logtruck load of spruce-pine-hemlock, delivered for .30/ft    add my usual .35/ft for sawing, I'd have to get .65/ft to come out even on the logs & make a little sawing it.  That'd be the absolute minimum.  I usually get 1.00/ft for pine thats air dried.  If you don't need the job to pay the bills, you can be pretty flexible. Rates will vary around the country for sure.  You price too high, you won't get the job, Home Depot will -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

flip

I'm sawing out a 35'X40' barn for a construction co. I supply the poplar and cut out random width 7"-12", 1", 10' and 3" battens for .72/bf.  I'll be starting on the house in a few weeks.  The barn will be about a $1700 job.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Larry

Last week I bought douglas fir construction lumber from a real lumber yard...not a box store for $370/mbf delivered.  Its good looking lumber and anything I don't like I can take back.  Pretty tough to compete with prices like that.  Timbers and clear 4/4 would be a different story.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Nope, no way to compete with that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beav39

im in maine and i charge 70cts a bdft for pine wheather i cut it on own land or buy the logs .prices on buying pine around here have jumped alot this summer.
sawdust in the blood

Thank You Sponsors!