iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LL's Identification Games (Number 2) - (SOLVED: sourwood)

Started by Lanier_Lurker, June 09, 2007, 08:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

Sorry about the blurriness.  (maybe that will make this more challenging)

These are pretty common in my area.

WDH

Are the buds prominently pseudo-terminal?  Are there very fine hairs on the central mid-rib of the principle vein on the leaf underside?  Are the leaf margins finely serrate?

I am 99% sure that I know this one, but I will hang back and let the game play on and see what transpires.......:)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

I think you're barking up the right tree, WDH.  Chew on leaf, LL, and see if it tastes like sour apple.  If it does, then our suspicions will be confirmed. :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Don't give it away, DL.  Lets see what our other Forum members can conjure up ;D.

SwampDonkey

I modified that post just a little, since I know you didn't mean it.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Lanier_Lurker

Fine hairs on the central mid-rib of the principle vein on the leaf underside    =      YES
Leaf margins finely serrate   =    YES

This is a tree, not a shrub, bush, or vine.

It is one of the last (if not the last) trees to leaf out in spring.

Fall leaf color is considered among the best of any tree.

WDH

Beautiful fall color, a deep vermillion red.  The bees like the flowers :).

SwampDonkey

They turn yellow here. Our pin cherry turn a fire red or mahogany.

Lanier_Lurker

Huh SD?

I did not know these ranged that far north.

SwampDonkey

Hmmm, then this must be the mother of all choke cherries.   8)  ;D :D :D :D

In full bloom.

Leave it to me to not only have the tape upside down, but backwards.  ::) That's 2.3 meters in circumference at 3 feet, or 29 inches in diameter.  ;D

Can almost smell them blooms.  :)

Prunus serotina  ;D

Dave Shepard

That was what I was thinking but wasn't sure. Next time I am going to speak my mind, however crazy an idea I might have. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Negatory, not a prunus. 

This plant has bark with very deep and distinctive V-fissures.  This tree does not range further north than Southern Pennsylvania.  The nectar from the long drooping racemes are used by honey bees to make a prized honey, marketed by this tree's name.

One more hint.  It is an understory tree, very common in the lover elevations of the Applachain Mountains. 

BTW, Dodgy Loner's post contains a huge clue ;D.

SwampDonkey

Then....... it must be sourwood Oxydendrum arboreum. A tree I'm unfamiliar with. A source of sourwood honey, abundant in the Smokies. ;D

Tricky bunch on here.  ;)

WDH

smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_daisy

Lanier_Lurker

Yep, WDH and DL had this one nailed from the start it sounds like.

I have a number of these behind my house.  This one is my favorite.  It looks like something you would find growing in the Munster's front yard.

And the second picture shows the bark, which is a very distinct feature of a mature sourwood.
My cat likes it too.  She will often climb it and rest on the horizontal section of the trunk.  Now if she would just kill some of my marauding squirrels.  >:(

WDH

LL,

That is a nice view ;D.  The sourwood creates an interesting visual line among all those vertical lines.  Very nice.  What other stuff is lurking in those woods :D.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Lanier_Lurker on June 11, 2007, 08:30:55 AM
Now if she would just kill some of my marauding squirrels.  >:(

The landowner adjacent to us just cleared about 35 acres of hardwood forest, effectively doubling our population of marauding squirrels.  At least they give my dog something to do while I'm gone ::).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Around here the marauding squirrels are easy to ID :D.  There are the ones chewing up my wife's potted plants  :).

Thank You Sponsors!