iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Help me ID this hardwood?

Started by learner, December 05, 2012, 05:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

learner

I won't even venture a guess as to what it is.  In fact I'm hoping someone here can help me identify this.
So sorry but it didn't have any bark on it.  It was mixed in with pine so we didn't think anything about it.  But after the first cut we knew it wasn't pine. 

WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

SwampDonkey

It's quite pink looking, is it cherry?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 05, 2012, 06:06:34 PM
It's quite pink looking, is it cherry?

Definitely my first thought, BUT:

Quote from: WDH on December 05, 2012, 09:07:42 PM
I think that it is sweetgum.

Really? what makes you say so? I never would have guessed that. None of the SG I've seen has looked like that. But you've probably seen a whack more of it than I have!  :D

Quote from: pasbuild on December 05, 2012, 09:28:18 PM
Beech

I'm not very familiar with beech lumber.  :-[
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

learner

It's too red for SG.  The grain pattern seems different too.   I know it isn't any Oak because the wood is too soft.  I've never cut into a spalted log before so don't know which species even spalt.  I'm not aware of any Cherry around here unless it's a yard tree, which it could be.
My dad says maybe Cypress but I'm not aware of any of that around here either.  I hate to look like an idiot but I just don't know.  Finding pics of Cut wood is a pain so it's hard to compare it to others.  It was 20" diameter so it grows fairly large. 
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Okrafarmer

Learner,
Peterson's Eastern Trees and Native Trees of the Southeast both show you as living near the western edge of black cherry's natural range, and probably just inside it.

Even if cherries are not common where you live, the lumber could have come from a little bit east of you.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

learner

Don't get my Hopes up OF!  Since I'm looking to add a little bit of everything to my inventory,  having some black cherry would be Great.  And spalted no less.  Thanks for the info sir.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: learner on December 05, 2012, 10:41:34 PM
Don't get my Hopes up OF!  Since I'm looking to add a little bit of everything to my inventory,  having some black cherry would be Great.  And spalted no less.  Thanks for the info sir.

Well, WDH thinks its sweetgum, and he's usually right.  :'(

Okrafarmer

The more I look at it, the more it looks like cherry, every single board. I wonder if WDH could be pulling our leg (s)?  ???

SwampDonkey

Black cherry grows down into Mexico in the mountains. However, the ends don't look dark enough for old logs. Up here cherry will go almost black on the ends. Are there any gum pockets in the lumber? They are usually near the edge of a ring. I see quite bit of checking and splitting around the knots in one board, acts like a really finnicky species. Might be sweetgum, after I looked up some descriptions of the wood. The reddishness in the heart earns it the name redgum in the trade. You can get ribbon stripe if quartered apparently. Apparently the biggest export market for the stuff is in Europe where furniture is made, renamed satin walnut and shipped back. The stain is actually a sought after attribute in sweetgum. WDH may be correct. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I have never seen cherry heartwood spalt like that.  I also thought dogwood, but then you said that the wood was soft, and dogwood, while having a pink color and being diffuse porous is certainly not soft.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I don't recall cherry going like that either. I had two year old logs lay on the ground before sawed and they darkened a bit but no spalt stains like that.

pasbuild

Quote from: pasbuild on December 05, 2012, 09:28:18 PM
Beech
I guess I should have read every post before I opened my mouth, I though we were talkin Michigan not Texas ::) ??? ???
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

SwampDonkey

I think Jeff merged the thread with another with similar topic. Then split them again this morning. Pretty tricky fella ya know. :D :D

learner

Well whatever it is, I like it.  At least it's different than pine and oak and cedar. 

WDH

If it is a native hardwood, the potential list of suspects is small.  If it is an ornamental, who knows what it could be  :).

Jeff

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 06, 2012, 02:48:37 PM
I think Jeff merged the thread with another with similar topic. Then split them again this morning. Pretty tricky fella ya know. :D :D

Umm no i didnt. another hardwood ID request from Texas was posted on the other id topic with the bundle of hardwood from Michigan. I separated those two.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I knew it was something like that. ;D

DanG

I'm thinking it could be sycamore.  It looks a lot like sweetgum when flat sawn, but with a pinkish color.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ohsoloco

Looks like some type of maple to me.  I've seen pinkish color like that in some maple, and it's the only wood I've ever seen spalt like that.  Black cherry is darker than that, and doesn't spalt as much as it turns brown before getting punky (had a pile of cherry settle into the ground years back...).

I can often tell a species of wood just by the smell of it when the dry lumber is cut with a power saw (of course this only works with a species you're familiar with).

davidv

When I saw the pink color I immediately thought red elm, I've never heard of spalted elm though....

Okrafarmer

I've mostly seen spalting in maple, sweetgum, beech, sycamore, and pecan.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on December 06, 2012, 07:14:23 AM
I have never seen cherry heartwood spalt like that.  I also thought dogwood, but then you said that the wood was soft, and dogwood, while having a pink color and being diffuse porous is certainly not soft.

Are you tossing out cherry based only on the spalting, or did you have another reason?

BTW, Texas has some trees most of the rest of us don't have-- soapberry for instance.

But WDH, you are almost always right, and sweetgum is almost always tricky!  ;D

WDH

No, it could be cherry.  The way to tell is with aroma.  Cherry will have a distinct astringent-like spicy odor.  Sweetgum has no odor.  Slice a shaving from the sapwood, preferably where there still a little bark, and take a good sniff!

It looks more like cherry than sweetgum to me without the spalting.  The spalting is the wrench in the gears  :).  If it is cherry, it will have that sweet-spicy aroma.

Thank You Sponsors!